• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to clear my name/termination due to simple misconduct

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tree19

Hello:
I was terminated because of simple misconduct which was I did not follow a brand new policy. The new policy was that I needed to wear Latex Gloves all working hours(8 hours). I am allergic to Latex Gloves and get very sweaty not able to perform my Janitorial works , then I did not wear Gloves except cleaning Bathroom, trash and kitchen area. The supervisor discharged me after one-time warning, even though I worked there for more than 15 years. The place I worked is a large company, NOT hospital. I live in MD.

I want to clear my name/termination, because I am afraid not able to find another, decent job because of 'termination.'
What should I do in this, difficult situation?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Last edited:

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
So after you got warned once you didn't ask your boss about alternatives? Most people use nitrile gloves to avoid issues with latex allergies.

Last edited:

Tree19

So after you got warned once you didn't ask your boss about alternatives? Most people use nitrile gloves no to avoid issues with latex allergies.
Yes, I did ask, however the boss told me ONLY Company-issued Latex Gloves, although I purchased non-Latex Gloves from Amazon.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Many people who wear these types of gloves wear other gloves (such as cotton gloves) underneath to make them more comfortable.

Did you wear your Amazon gloves? I'm not sure how anyone would know the difference by seeing them unless the color was very different.

Tree19

Many people who wear these types of gloves wear other gloves (such as cotton gloves) underneath to make them more comfortable.

Did you wear your Amazon gloves? I'm not sure how anyone would know the difference by seeing them unless the color was very different.
Yes, I did wear Amazon gloves, however the boss did not accept it, .... only Latex gloves. The place I worked is NOT hospital, .... a large company, then my previous boss NEVER told me to wear Latex Gloves, except bathroom, trash and kitchen area. Why the new boss demanded me to wear Latex Gloves all working hours(8 hours) in the first place?

quincy

Yes, I did wear Amazon gloves, however the boss did not accept it, .... only Latex gloves. The place I worked is NOT hospital, .... a large company, then my previous boss NEVER told me to wear Latex Gloves, except bathroom, trash and kitchen area. Why the new boss demanded me to wear Latex Gloves all working hours(8 hours) in the first place?
Did you provide your employer with evidence of your allergy and ask for an accommodation prior to your termination?

If so, you should consult with an attorney in your area for a personal review.

PayrollHRGuy

It really doesn't matter why the new boss started demanding it is a reasonable request. If you provided proof that you had a latex allergy not allowing a just as effective non-latex glove probably wasn't reasonable.

Did you provide such proof?

Tree19

It really doesn't matter why the new boss started demanding it is a reasonable request. If you provided proof that you had a latex allergy not allowing a just as effective non-latex glove probably wasn't reasonable.

Did you provide such proof?
At that time, I was so confused and not able to think of 'proof' and nor any 'legal matter,' then the boss appeared to me taking advantage my 'naive and shyness' to just 'get rid of me.'

quincy

At that time, I was so confused and not able to think of 'proof' and nor any 'legal matter,' then the boss appeared to me taking advantage my 'naive and shyness' to just 'get rid of me.'
If you did not inform your employer of your allergy and ask for an accommodation, your termination for violating the company directive could be seen as legal.

Tree19

If you did not inform your employer of your allergy and ask for an accommodation, your termination for violating the company directive could be seen as legal.
I did ask an accommodation which is Amazon Gloves, however the boss rejected my alternative. I have no choice but not wearing latex gloves all working hours.

PayrollHRGuy

I did ask an accommodation which is Amazon Gloves, however the boss rejected my alternative. I have no choice but not wearing latex gloves all working hours.
But you gave them no proof you needed an accommodation. We also don't know if Amazon Gloves meet the needed standards.

quincy

You can consult with an attorney in your area. A latex allergy is a legitimate reason for not wearing latex gloves.

If the wearing of alternative gloves to prevent an allergic reaction was the sole reason for your termination, you could have a claim worth pursuing.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">