• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Charging Taxes on materials to customers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the state of Florida, is a service company suppose to charge taxes on service jobs for materials for use on the job in a customers home such as AC or appliance repair that required only labor and did not need a manufacture part replacement?

For example: Fixed broken wire in an AC. But used extra wire nut to solve issue. Repair company provided wire nut that they purchased from a supplier.

Another example: Service company welded a leak in a copper line with an oxygen and acetylene tank and added solder.

FlyingRon

On things that are part of the house (built in appliances), I think you're fine. Anything that is part of personal property (or is attached to or can become it), like a portable unit, has to remit sales tax on any materials EVEN if you don't charge the customer for it. Of course, a single wire nut has to be down in the noise. There's no tax on things less than a dime.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
On things that are part of the house (built in appliances), I think you're fine. Anything that is part of personal property (or is attached to or can become it), like a portable unit, has to remit sales tax on any materials EVEN if you don't charge the customer for it. Of course, a single wire nut has to be down in the noise. There's no tax on things less than a dime.
Strange - I paid 11¢ for the last 10¢ doohicky I bought ;)

Zigner

In Santa Fe Springs, CA, you'll pay 10¢ for the 9¢ item (sales tax rate of 10.5%). Same goes for the several cities with a tax rate of 10.25%.

And, what if I buy 1,000 items priced at a penny each? You'd better believe I'll be paying sales tax.

FlyingRon

Florida has tax tables. 10 cents is one cent tax. Below 10 cents, no tax. This is true on all the rates from 4% up to 8%.

Zigner

Florida has tax tables. 10 cents is one cent tax. Below 10 cents, no tax. This is true on all the rates from 4% up to 8%.
Is the tax applied to the item, or the aggregate? Like my example, if you buy 1,000 pcs of a 1¢ nut all in one transaction, are you going to pay tax on the purchase?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">