• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Notice of bill of indictment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NcandGa

What is the name of your state? NC

Went to court and understood charges of felony drug to be dropped. But then I received a notice of bill of indictment weeks after. What does this mean? Were the charges dropped?

quincy

What is the name of your state? NC

Went to court and understood charges of felony drug to be dropped. But then I received a notice of bill of indictment weeks after. What does this mean? Were the charges dropped?
The Notice of Indictment that you received tells you exactly for what offense you are being charged.

Carefully read the form you received as it tells you what you need to do if you wish to request an arraignment, and the time limits for responding if you want to preserve your rights to discovery.

The form should say something like, if you do not respond to the Notice, the Court will enter a not guilty plea on your behalf. And it will give you the date, time and place to appear in Court to answer the charge filed against you. You MUST appear in Court on that date.

You have already been advised by other forum members to speak to an attorney in your area. I recommend the same. Again, there are important time limits that must be met in responding to the Notice so you do not want to delay in seeking out legal assistance.

Good luck.

FlyingRon

It's actually "NOTICE OF RETURN OF BILL OF INDICTMENT" but what the above posters have said is true:

1. You've been charged with a felony by the grand jury.
2. You need an attorney.

You will need to appear at the hearing date specified in the superior court specified unless you hear otherwise from your attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">