• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Removal of property held by a lien.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

It's entirely possible that the OP is now the owner of the vehicle - so we wouldn't be talking about an "abandoned vehicle" in the sense that you're speaking.
That is true. It could be more complicated than simply reporting an abandoned vehicle.

LdiJ

It's entirely possible that the OP is now the owner of the vehicle - so we wouldn't be talking about an "abandoned vehicle" in the sense that you're speaking.
Not unless the OP accepts ownership and its titled in her name. A potential heir is not required to accept ownership of any asset.

Not unless the OP accepts ownership and its titled in her name. A potential heir is not required to accept ownership of any asset.
The vehicle is titled in my deceased husbands name with the loan company listed as lienholder. I called them over 30 days to notify that I was forfeiting the vehicle, as I am not in a financial position to pay off the original loan. I just want the car out of my driveway.

Thank you all so much for your comments, I truly appreciate all of the information. I just dont understand why there has been such a delay in removing the vehicle. The representative was calling me repeatedly. until I accidentally fried my cell phone and had to buy a new one. Failure to reach me for a few days resulted in the lady contacting my adult stepchildren, with whom she discussed personal information concerning my husbands loan. Now it appears they want to drag their feet in taking possession of the car, after being notified that I was forfeiting it. I spoke with the loan agent this afternoon and was told that they had not made a decision as to what they were going to do with the vehicle. She stated that I would be notify when the decision was made. In the meantime the car is taking up space in my driveway.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
They have no obligation to pick up the vehicle. You can call and report it abandoned if you like, but please realize that you are only increasing the debt of the estate. Have you tried calling a junkyard to pick it up?

Edit: Does he have any children?

quincy

I would give them a deadline date to pick up the vehicle and then have it towed off your property if they don't remove it by the deadline. You could have it towed by the police for later auction or disposal.

If the vehicle is not yours, though, you are not expected to store it forever.

Zigner

I would give them a deadline date to pick up the vehicle and then have it towed off your property if they don't remove it by the deadline. You could have it towed by the police for later auction or disposal.

If the vehicle is not yours, though, you are not expected to store it forever.
True - but the cost for this is (and will remain) the responsibility of the OP. The OWNER of the car is the estate of her deceased husband, not the lienholder.

They are avoiding repossessing an asset that has no value. It's less hassle for them to charge it off and leave it in your driveway than to repo it, file for repo title, and sell it. If the lienholder has a local office, I'd pay to have it towed there. Once it shows up in their parking lot, they won't pay to have it towed back to you.

Zigner

They are avoiding repossessing an asset that has no value. It's less hassle for them to charge it off and leave it in your driveway than to repo it, file for repo title, and sell it. If the lienholder has a local office, I'd pay to have it towed there. Once it shows up in their parking lot, they won't pay to have it towed back to you.
Why do you feel it's appropriate to dump an item on someone's property? Again, the lienholder does not own the item. If it were me and someone dumped a junk car on my lot, I'd call the police.

Why do you feel it's appropriate to dump an item on someone's property? Again, the lienholder does not own the item. If it were me and someone dumped a junk car on my lot, I'd call the police.
I didn't say it was appropriate, I said I would do it. The police would tell you it's a civil matter. I ran a buy-here pay-here company for a long time and had it happen to me more than I care to remember.

Zigner

I didn't say it was appropriate, I said I would do it. The police would tell you it's a civil matter. I ran a buy-here pay-here company for a long time and had it happen to me more than I care to remember.
I would report the illegal dumping - many municipalities have laws against it...

In any case, it's not wise to suggest a course of action that may very well end up costing the OP even MORE money. It's the estate's problem.

I would report the illegal dumping - many municipalities have laws against it...

In any case, it's not wise to suggest a course of action that may very well end up costing the OP even MORE money. It's the estate's problem.
It's a voluntary repo. One of the choices the lienholder gave the OP.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">