• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I am being sued by ZIPCAR

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

But I didn't become a member or rented the car, I have a car.
If you are, in fact, being sued instead of being informed by letter of a possible lawsuit that will be filed against you, you really need to see an attorney. You have a limited time to respond to the lawsuit. You do not want to file an Answer to the complaint past the deadline date.

eerelations

I still don't understand. If the membership was in the company name, then ZipCar would be going after the company, not you.

Why haven't you spoken to your former boss to find out why you're being billed for a car that you didn't rent in 2017?
I see your answer to my second question.

You need to contact ZipCar and tell them you haven't used their services since 2013 and that they need to contact your former boss about any car rentals in your former company's name since 2013.

quincy

A letter stating I am being sued and to respond by 9/16.
So you have not yet been sued. You have not yet received a summons and complaint.

Although I recommend you speak to an attorney in your area for a personal review of the letter you received, to make sure it is not notice of a lawsuit already filed, it appears that Zip Car is trying for a settlement on the damage with a demand letter.

If I am correct, you can contact Zip Car and say you were not working for the company in question at the time of the damage.

If you receive a summons and complaint anyway, though, you must respond to the lawsuit. You would be wise to have an attorney at that time.

I am not sure why the letter was sent to you. Your former employer might have an answer to that.

Last edited:
I see your answer to my second question.

You need to contact ZipCar and tell them you haven't used their services since 2013 and that they need to contact your former boss about any car rentals in your former company's name since 2013.
I did, I called for legal aid I haven't received a response. Unfortunately I really can't afford a lawyer. Thank you

So you have not yet been sued. You have not yet received a summons and complaint.

Although I recommend you speak to an attorney in your area for a personal review of the letter you received, to make sure it is not notice of a lawsuit already filed, it appears that Zip Car is trying for a settlement on the debt with a demand letter.

If I am correct, you can contact Zip Car and say you were not working for the company in question at the time of the damage.

If you receive a summons and complaint anyway, though, you must respond to the lawsuit. You would be wise to have an attorney at that time.

I am not sure why the letter was sent to you. Your former employer might have an answer to that.
I did tell my former employer He said get legal aid. I tried but haven't received a response yet. Unfortunately I really can't afford a lawyer. Thank you

quincy

I did, I called for legal aid I haven't received a response. Unfortunately I really can't afford a lawyer. Thank you
You can call attorneys in your area to see if they will offer a payment plan to fit your budget, this if you can't afford a large retainer. You can call law firms to ask about their pro bono assistance programs. You can check for advice at a law school local to you. You should keep calling legal aid and visit in person a legal aid clinic if phone calls are not working.

Try to afford at least an hour's worth of an attorney's time just for a personal review of the letter you received.

Last edited:
You can call attorneys in your area to see if they will offer a payment plan to fit your budget, this if you can't afford a large retainer. You can call law firms to ask about their pro bono assistance programs. You can check for advice at a law school local to you. You should keep calling legal aid and visit in person a legal aid clinic if phone calls are not working.

Try to afford an hour's worth of an attorney's time just for a personal review of the letter you received.
Thank you. I am going to go in person and go to a law firm.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">