• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My “boyfriend” of 10 years refuses to move out

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

WhitleyS88

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I have been with my boyfriend for 10 years. I am no longer happy with him, and have expressed my dissatisfaction with the relationship for quite some time.

We moved into an apartment with each other in January of 2011. I decided that I no longer wanted to rent, and wanted to purchase a property. The property I purchased was for sale, and had other interested buyers. Due to time constraints (and me not having enough money at the time), he gifted me the down payment for the home (this is documented). I closed on the home in April of 2019, and agreed to have him move with me. He has no ownership of the property... Although he helps financially, and with home maintenance... He is not a borrower on the mortgage, listed on the title, insurance, or the deed. I am the sole owner of my home and property, and he is well aware of this.

I thought having more space would help our relationship, and it has not. I do not want to continue with the relationship at all. We are not, and haven't been married to one another. He has purchased things for the home. I am willing to let him take these things besides major appliances. There was an old dishwasher that came with the home, and he replaced it with a new one, and put the old one out for trash with out my knowledge. He also got the washer that came with the home - fixed. I don't want anything from him, so he can take everything he paid for (aside from the home appliances and my cat).

I have even considered having him as a roommate, but realized I would be uncomfortable in that scenario as well. He is aware of this, and refuses to move out. There is not lease agreement in place at this time.

Please help!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You will need to evict your tenant per your state's landlord/tenant laws.

Yes, he is considered a tenant. Yes, you are considered his landlord.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I have been with my boyfriend for 10 years. I am no longer happy with him, and have expressed my dissatisfaction with the relationship for quite some time.

We moved into an apartment with each other in January of 2011. I decided that I no longer wanted to rent, and wanted to purchase a property. The property I purchased was for sale, and had other interested buyers. Due to time constraints (and me not having enough money at the time), he gifted me the down payment for the home (this is documented). I closed on the home in April of 2019, and agreed to have him move with me. He has no ownership of the property... Although he helps financially, and with home maintenance... He is not a borrower on the mortgage, listed on the title, insurance, or the deed. I am the sole owner of my home and property, and he is well aware of this.

I thought having more space would help our relationship, and it has not. I do not want to continue with the relationship at all. We are not, and haven't been married to one another. He has purchased things for the home. I am willing to let him take these things besides major appliances. There was an old dishwasher that came with the home, and he replaced it with a new one, and put the old one out for trash with out my knowledge. He also got the washer that came with the home - fixed. I don't want anything from him, so he can take everything he paid for (aside from the home appliances and my cat).

I have even considered having him as a roommate, but realized I would be uncomfortable in that scenario as well. He is aware of this, and refuses to move out. There is not lease agreement in place at this time.

Please help!
He is technically your tenant even though there is no lease and he has not paid rent. You need to go through the process of given him written notice to leave, and when he does not, you file for an eviction.

If he gifted you the money for the down payment with the understanding that he would get to live in the home, he might be able to convince a judge to order you to return that money to him. How much are we talking about?

Zigner

He is technically your tenant even though there is no lease and he has not paid rent.
His contributions ("...he helps financially, and with home maintenance...") may very well be considered rent. I haven't researched that aspect of things for PA since it's irrelevant to the question at hand, but I did want to point that out.

WhitleyS88

$3500 - $4000

He is technically your tenant even though there is no lease and he has not paid rent. You need to go through the process of given him written notice to leave, and when he does not, you file for an eviction.

If he gifted you the money for the down payment with the understanding that he would get to live in the home, he might be able to convince a judge to order you to return that money to him. How much are we talking about?

Zigner

Ok, well at least its not a huge amount of money. I don't know what rents are like in your area, but you might be able to argue that it covered his rent and utilities for 5 or 6 months.
I think the signed declaration stating that it was a gift is pretty compelling. That whole unclean hands thing...

Zigner

You have a point, but its fairly well known that those letters are false.
I don't doubt it, but it really speaks to credibility. The guy would have a tough time suing for it and then trying to explain whether he was lying when he signed it, or lying in court

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">