• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car Towed but Temporary No Parking Signs were not Posted Clearly

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

illenium

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I parked my car on the street in front of my house where I have a parking permit on Friday. I don't think there were any no parking signs posted at this time. On Monday morning, I walked to school and did not notice any No Parking signs. However, when I got home Monday night, they had started paving my street and my car had been towed. There were No parking signs posted, but they were really difficult to see from the side of the street that I live on.

I had to pay $135 to get my car out of the impound lot and then I got an additional summons from the Pittsburgh police for over $100. Would it be worth my time to challenge the summons on the grounds that the no parking signs were hard to see from my side of the street? I walked from my house to school on the morning before getting towed and did not notice any of the signs. I have attached some photos of the view of how these signs look below. They are really noticeable from the other side of the street. But they are hard to see from the side of the street that I live on and the sidewalk that I walked on the morning before my car got towed.

adjusterjack

They are really noticeable from the other side of the street. But they are hard to see from the side of the street that I live on and the sidewalk that I walked on the morning before my car got towed.
"Hard to see" is not the same as "there weren't any." I think you lose the minute you admit that they were there.

You're welcome to give it a try, though.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It's pretty obvious that there is a sign there to me. It's up to you to decide whether it's worth your time to fight it. I don't see you winning on legal grounds, but it's possible you'll get a sympathetic hearing officer/judge.

LdiJ

I disagree a little. Putting the signs facing the street does make it difficult for the person on the sidewalk behind the sign to know its there. Particularly when the regular sign about parking is actually facing the direction that a person would be driving.

I think that a judge might wonder why in the world the person installing the sign would not install it right below or even on top of the regular sign about parking.

FlyingRon

Why would a person walking on a sidewalk care?
Facing the street is where you expect to find such signs (even if the others are canted a bit toward traffic).

LdiJ

Why would a person walking on a sidewalk care?
Facing the street is where you expect to find such signs (even if the others are canted a bit toward traffic).
Stop Signs, Yield Signs, Street Signs, No Parking Signs, Limited Parking Signs are ALL facing traffic, which would include foot traffic. None of those signs ever face the street. The OP did not see the sign getting out of her car because it was facing the street, and didn't see the sign the next morning when she walked to school, for the same reason. Maybe someone who parked close to the sign might have seen it, but certainly nobody would have that parked a few cars away from it.

So no, I would never expect to see sign facing the street rather than facing traffic.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Stop Signs, Yield Signs, Street Signs, No Parking Signs, Limited Parking Signs are ALL facing traffic, which would include foot traffic. None of those signs ever face the street. The OP did not see the sign getting out of her car because it was facing the street, and didn't see the sign the next morning when she walked to school, for the same reason. Maybe someone who parked close to the sign might have seen it, but certainly nobody would have that parked a few cars away from it.

So no, I would never expect to see sign facing the street rather than facing traffic.
There were signs on every pole and they were obvious. I suggest that you (and the OP) learn to read all posted signs.

FlyingRon

Eh? No parking signs do not typically face traffic in many locations. You need to expect them facing the street.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">