• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Custody of grandson

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lostnbroken22

What is the name of your state? Georgia
Can I get custody or guardianship of my grandson that i have raised since birth he is almost 3 1/2 now mother has never supported barely has come around to see him. She was 15 at the time of havin him and will be 19 in Nov. She now says she wants him which is not fit to have him. Pls help me.
Thank you

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state? Georgia
Can I get custody or guardianship of my grandson that i have raised since birth he is almost 3 1/2 now mother has never supported barely has come around to see him. She was 15 at the time of havin him and will be 19 in Nov. She now says she wants him which is not fit to have him. Pls help me.
No one is going to call you. And why do you think you should have custody? Where is the child's father?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
So, is this your daughter's child, or your son's child? Where is Dad? How old is he?

lostnbroken22

No one is going to call you. And why do you think you should have custody? Where is the child's father?
Father is unknown...Cause he has been w me from day one is very attached to me just as I am him. Plus his mother is living w a older guy that is running from police w warrants on him for them fightin. He is very controlling. I have also watched her pass out on wht ever and just bout cant get her awake for nothin. She always has excuses to not even come see him. She has never supported him. Also he will say he dnt want his mama. He says he wants his Dottie which is wht he calls me.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You will still need to make an attempt to find & properly serve the father. You are going to want an attorney to assist you.

LdiJ

Father is unknown...Cause he has been w me from day one is very attached to me just as I am him. Plus his mother is living w a older guy that is running from police w warrants on him for them fightin. He is very controlling. I have also watched her pass out on wht ever and just bout cant get her awake for nothin. She always has excuses to not even come see him. She has never supported him. Also he will say he dnt want his mama. He says he wants his Dottie which is wht he calls me.
Get a consult with a local family law attorney. If the father is truly unknown or could have been multiple people it may not be necessary to serve him. Custody matters are never 100% permanent so its not as though he cannot come into the picture someday, even if you get custody.

lostnbroken22

You will still need to make an attempt to find & properly serve the father. You are going to want an attorney to assist you.
I have tried to talk to my daughter bout the father she named one person a home DNA was done came back was not his. After that she refuses to talk bout it. I have no clue who she had been w. So have no clue where to start looking for the father at.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I have tried to talk to my daughter bout the father she named one person a home DNA was done came back was not his. After that she refuses to talk bout it. I have no clue who she had been w. So have no clue where to start looking for the father at.
THAT is why you want the assistance of an attorney. You will need to follow the proper steps for attempting to find the father.

Get a consult with a local family law attorney. If the father is truly unknown or could have been multiple people it may not be necessary to serve him. Custody matters are never 100% permanent so its not as though he cannot come into the picture someday, even if you get custody.
The first and third sentences are correct. The second is probably not correct, but the intention behind it is. Service upon purported fathers, even those that are unknown, will likely need to be accomplished. Notice that I didn't use the word "personal".

LdiJ

THAT is why you want the assistance of an attorney. You will need to follow the proper steps for attempting to find the father.

The first and third sentences are correct. The second is probably not correct, but the intention behind it is. Service upon purported fathers, even those that are unknown, will likely need to be accomplished. Notice that I didn't use the word "personal".
Right, it doesn't have to be personal, and a John Doe type notice might be appropriate in a case where the father cannot be identified.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Even John Doe needs served. You are wrong, again

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">