• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need help with a TAX Form and a clarification if debt towards the IRS exists

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tstq44

If anyone would be so kind to help, there are two questions I would like clarification on:

Here is the TAX Form in question (personal details redacted):
https://i.ibb.co/XsqQJfx/Group517-2014-Tax-Documents-Redacted.png

1. Does a person who had received a number of these 1042-S forms between the years 2011 - 2015 owe any additional TAX to the US Tax System?
2. Is there any action needed at this point, and how one can check that these documents had not resulted in the person owing money to the USA?

FlyingRon

You can't tell by just that one form whether there is additional filing or tax involved or not. If the amounts each year are small like the one you depicted, there probably was no obligation to file. What has likely was you were entitled to some of the withheld amounts back, but it's too late to get that now.

You can get more information by reading: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p519.pdf
Note page 35 where it talks about who must file.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
If anyone would be so kind to help, there are two questions I would like clarification on:

Here is the TAX Form in question (personal details redacted):
https://i.ibb.co/XsqQJfx/Group517-2014-Tax-Documents-Redacted.png

1. Does a person who had received a number of these 1042-S forms between the years 2011 - 2015 owe any additional TAX to the US Tax System?
2. Is there any action needed at this point, and how one can check that these documents had not resulted in the person owing money to the USA?
I assume that the recipient of the form is a nonresident alien of the U.S. (i.e. not a citizen or legal resident of the U.S. and not treated as resident of the U.S. for federal income tax purposes). If that is true, then the form you linked shows interest income from actively traded or publicly offered securities and that withholding was done at a reduced treaty rate for a recipient that had no U.S. taxpayer identification number (TIN). If this person had no other income from the U.S. and assuming that the withholding was done at the proper rate (i.e. that the treaty rate does apply) then the recipient has no obligation to file a U.S. tax return. In that case the tax withheld covers the recipient's tax obligation to the U.S. No benefit would occur from filing a return either since, if the withholding was accurate, there would be no refund to get either.

If the person was engaged in a U.S. trade or business or had other U.S. source income, however, the answer could change.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">