• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Applied for a credit card that has a 0% transfer fee, but it seems the website was deceptive. Is it a no win, or something for arbitration?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Texas

When applying for a credit card with a 0% transfer fee, I included all information asked. Included 3 accounts with amounts that I'd like transferred. There is no information anywhere (I have all pages printed out) about a limit on how much can be transferred. It states on the Terms and Conditions the "If the amount you request exceeds yout Total Credit Line, we may send full or partial payment to your creditor in the order you provide them to us", but I have no line of credit while applying. No disclaimer or pop-up or even warning that the amount I entered may possibly be too much. After I clicked through the application and applied for the card, it kicked me out an approval e-mail. On this e-mail it stated that a certain amount was approved for transfer, which was about a third of the total. If I had any sign that the amount I entered wasn't even going to be half accepted, I wouldn't have applied for the card. I'm rebuilding after a divorce and every point of credit for me is a big deal, so the company running my credit without stating that the amount might not be covered hurts. Is this something that I should just take the and move on or should I pursue arbitration?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state? Texas

When applying for a credit card with a 0% transfer fee, I included all information asked. Included 3 accounts with amounts that I'd like transferred. There is no information anywhere (I have all pages printed out) about a limit on how much can be transferred. It states on the Terms and Conditions the "If the amount you request exceeds yout Total Credit Line, we may send full or partial payment to your creditor in the order you provide them to us", but I have no line of credit while applying. No disclaimer or pop-up or even warning that the amount I entered may possibly be too much. After I clicked through the application and applied for the card, it kicked me out an approval e-mail. On this e-mail it stated that a certain amount was approved for transfer, which was about a third of the total. If I had any sign that the amount I entered wasn't even going to be half accepted, I wouldn't have applied for the card. I'm rebuilding after a divorce and every point of credit for me is a big deal, so the company running my credit without stating that the amount might not be covered hurts. Is this something that I should just take the and move on or should I pursue arbitration?
What do you mean by "If I had any sign..."? They clearly explained that they may send partial payment. This isn't even deceptive.

What do you mean by "If I had any sign..."? They clearly explained that they may send partial payment. This isn't even deceptive.
Meaning I don't know the credit line limit before requesting a transfer. There isn't any initial transfer maximum or limit, because there is no current line of credit when requesting transfer.

PayrollHRGuy

But you knew there was a credit limit. And as you are "rebuilding after divorce" you had to at least be somewhat aware that the limit would be at least somewhat limited.

But you knew there was a credit limit. And as you are "rebuilding after divorce" you had to at least be somewhat aware that the limit would be at least somewhat limited.
Yes, but my credit is good, and I have other cards with a much larger limit. The limit given and accepted transferable amount is lower than my previous lowest amount. So when doing the transfer, it wasn't even a question in my mind.

adjusterjack

Meaning I don't know the credit line limit before requesting a transfer.
Nobody does. You don't get assigned a credit limit until you are qualified. And you were warned in advance that it could be less than you wanted. There is no case for deception.

No, not at all. just trying to consolidate and avoid interest fees.
Does the new card have no interest for X months? If yes I suggest you make minimum payments on the new one and pour all the money you can into paying down the other balances.

Credit card companies are like drug dealers. They offer you a free taste and then you are hooked.

Well, you have the option to close the account though you are still saving some money on interest.
Closing the account only means not using the card anymore. There is still a balance to pay.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">