• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How soon can I change employer after green card

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

accd.211

I have been with the existing company for years, I-140, I-485 both filed under the same company same role (for five years). I don’t have green card yet, but if i get my green card, can I change employer right away? I heard it is safe to stay for another six month, otherwise I could be questioned at green card renewal or neutralization for its validity?

t74

I always wonder why a person would be disloyal to a company that expended time and money to sponsor him for permanent residency and then leave at the earliest opportunity.

Staying for 6 months will not guarantee that you will not be questioned about leaving especially if you leave for totally different type of position.

Expect the unpredictable, answer truthfully, and hope for the best outcome

accd.211

I always wonder why a person would be disloyal to a company that expended time and money to sponsor him for permanent residency and then leave at the earliest opportunity.

Staying for 6 months will not guarantee that you will not be questioned about leaving especially if you leave for totally different type of position.

Expect the unpredictable, answer truthfully, and hope for the best outcome
Green card is for the future permanent job starting from the day the person gets green card. But in reality company hires a person and then starts to apply for green card. In my case it started five years ago, and I have been with the same company for the same role for the entire time. And because my employer knows it is difficult for me to change role/job, there is less incentive to consider a raise or a promotion (they are not being unfair, but I’m just saying this is a factor for them to consider) I don’t think it is fair to call it “disloyal” that I’m considering a change after getting green card.

WelonLy

And because my employer knows it is difficult for me to change role/job, there is less incentive to consider a raise or a promotion (they are not being unfair, but I’m just saying this is a factor for them to consider) I don’t think it is fair to call it “disloyal” that I’m considering a change after getting green card.
Good luck. It is fully understandable why you want to change a job that has no signs of prospects.

Last edited:

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Good luck. It is fully understandable why you want to change a job that has no signs of perspectives
I believe the word you meant was "prospects".

However, that is still awkwardly put. I believe that you meant that accd's current job sounds like it has limited opportunities for career growth.

At least, that would seem to be the case from my perspective.

WelonLy

I believe the word you meant was "prospects".

However, that is still awkwardly put. I believe that you meant that accd's current job sounds like it has limited opportunities for career growth.

At least, that would seem to be the case from my perspective.
Thanks, As you might notice English is not my native. ;) It is interesting that at the moment when I just started feeling comfortable enough and stoped checking spelling I made so many mistakes in one sentence. Such a slap in the face from life.:LOL:

Just Blue

Thanks, As you might notice English is not my native. It is interesting that at the moment when I just started feeling comfortable enough and stoped checking spelling I made so many mistakes in one sentence. Such a slap in the face from life.
Are you located in the United States?

quincy

Thanks, As you might notice English is not my native. It is interesting that at the moment when I just started feeling comfortable enough and stoped checking spelling I made so many mistakes in one sentence. Such a slap in the face from life.
Even native speakers commit spelling and grammar errors. Life slaps us all. ;)

quincy

I hate most modern technology, with the exception of the spellchecker.
The problem with spellcheckers is that they can tell you if you spell a word correctly but not if you are using the right word (e.g., their, there, they're). A dictionary can be more valuable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">