• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is extortion okay?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I'm involved with the Androgel testosterone replacement therapy lawsuit. I was prescribed this medication by my doctor about 5 years ago, and used it as directed. I like many others suffered a heart attack. I selected an attorney on the internet after learning that the pharmaceutical company knew this was a risk with this medication, but neglected to share that information. I suffered a heart attack and underwent quadruple bypass heart surgery at 49 years old. To make a long story short, it appears that my attorney has done little to nothing in my case. I recently received a settlement offer, that was really more an insult than a serious offer. The attorney's letter stated that if I rejected the offer, that I would have to pursue the case on my own, or find alternate legal representation, as they would represent me no further. I'm not an attorney, and I don't know the legal definition of extortion, or client abandonment, but it certainly has left me in a difficult situation. They've cleverly stalled it seems, as I spent a day online, and on the phone, and could not find alternate representation, apparently due to the lateness in the game. I don't negotiate with terrorists, nor extortionists. A phone conversation with my lawyers revealed no answers to my question, why did my case suddenly become worthless? Do I have a case for legal malpractice? I've been denied justice, and my day in court.

Just Blue

I'm involved with the Androgel testosterone replacement therapy lawsuit. I was prescribed this medication by my doctor about 5 years ago, and used it as directed. I like many others suffered a heart attack. I selected an attorney on the internet after learning that the pharmaceutical company knew this was a risk with this medication, but neglected to share that information. I suffered a heart attack and underwent quadruple bypass heart surgery at 49 years old. To make a long story short, it appears that my attorney has done little to nothing in my case. I recently received a settlement offer, that was really more an insult than a serious offer. The attorney's letter stated that if I rejected the offer, that I would have to pursue the case on my own, or find alternate legal representation, as they would represent me no further. I'm not an attorney, and I don't know the legal definition of extortion, or client abandonment, but it certainly has left me in a difficult situation. They've cleverly stalled it seems, as I spent a day online, and on the phone, and could not find alternate representation, apparently due to the lateness in the game. I don't negotiate with terrorists, nor extortionists. A phone conversation with my lawyers revealed no answers to my question, why did my case suddenly become worthless? Do I have a case for legal malpractice? I've been denied justice, and my day in court.
What was the offer?

It seems that the attorney did his job and got the offer of a settlement which you rejected. What else do you want him to do, and where does extortion or malpractice enter into the argument?

Just Blue

The attorney had sent me updates on cases that had been to jury trial. Jury awarded $140,000,000 in punitive damages against the pharmaceutical company, which I'm sure will be appealed. My offer would have netted me less than $30,000.
Was the 140 mil a class action suit? If so...how many litigants?

LdiJ

The attorney had sent me updates on cases that had been to jury trial. Jury awarded $140,000,000 in punitive damages against the pharmaceutical company, which I'm sure will be appealed. My offer would have netted me less than $30,000.
How much were your out of pocket expenses related to your heart attack? What significant lifestyle changes are due to your heart attack? How much lost wages did you have?

It seems that the attorney did his job and got the offer of a settlement which you rejected. What else do you want him to do, and where does extortion or malpractice enter into the argument?
The offer was an insult. Rejecting a settlement offer should not terminate my representation, in my humble opinion. I informed them that I wanted to go to trial. I was informed that wasn't going to happen. Thus, accept these peanuts, or we will abandon you. Maybe not extortion, but client abandonment. I've not yet contacted the state bar, but fully intend to.

The offer was an insult. Rejecting a settlement offer should not terminate my representation, in my humble opinion. I informed them that I wanted to go to trial. I was informed that wasn't going to happen. Thus, accept these peanuts, or we will abandon you. Maybe not extortion, but client abandonment. I've not yet contacted the state bar, but fully intend to.
So in reality the only thing the attoreny did wrong was failing to get you the payout you wanted?

quincy

Read the terms of your contract with the attorney carefully.

How much were your out of pocket expenses related to your heart attack? What significant lifestyle changes are due to your heart attack? How much lost wages did you have?
Excellent question, but difficult to answer as I've not quantified that. My issue is, that I was denied the opportunity to sit in a court room, and listen to the explanation of how you can know that a product gives people heart attacks and strokes, not sharing that information, and decide to heavily market it, and sell it anyway. I would like drug companies to stop doing that. I would like them to take responsibility for that.

quincy

Excellent question, but difficult to answer as I've not quantified that. My issue is, that I was denied the opportunity to sit in a court room, and listen to the explanation of how you can know that a product gives people heart attacks and strokes, not sharing that information, and decide to heavily market it, and sell it anyway. I would like drug companies to stop doing that. I would like them to take responsibility for that.
What is the name of your state? Is your suit against AbbVie?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">