• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Religious Harassment at a Religious Ageny

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TLBear

What is the name of your state? Texas

I work in HR at an agency that was founded as a religious agency (there is a debate about whether we are a religious organization by the EEOC definition but assuming we are). I know religious organizations are exempt from some Title VII claims and can show preference to hiring within their religion. If jokes are made that are negative towards another religion and an employee of that religion is offended, can that employee claim religious harassment?

quincy

What is the name of your state? Texas

I work in HR at an agency that was founded as a religious agency (there is a debate about whether we are a religious organization by the EEOC definition but assuming we are). I know religious organizations are exempt from some Title VII claims and can show preference to hiring within their religion. If jokes are made that are negative towards another religion and an employee of that religion is offended, can that employee claim religious harassment?
Possibly. It depends on all facts.

quincy

A VP makes jokes regularly at the expense of other christian denominations. The agency hires people of all religions, but does ask new hires to identify their religion
Has a complaint been made to the head of the agency?

TLBear

Has a complaint been made to the head of the agency?
A complaint was made to HR and we brought it to the CEO who responded that since we state our denomination and call ourselves a religious agency(again lets assume we are but there is doubt as to if we classify) we cannot be sued for disparaging another religion or denomiation.

quincy

A complaint was made to HR and we brought it to the CEO who responded that since we state our denomination and call ourselves a religious agency(again lets assume we are but there is doubt as to if we classify) we cannot be sued for disparaging another religion or denomiation.
What you were told is not true.

Just Blue

Seriously? Does your company have an attorney?

@cbg is one of out Employment Law experts...perhaps she will advise you.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The CEO is wrong. It's one thing to be allowed to give preference to your own religion or denomination. It's quite another to actively disparage others.

TLBear

The CEO is wrong. It's one thing to be allowed to give preference to your own religion or denomination. It's quite another to actively disparage others.
Thank you. That is my feeling as well. I am going to speak to our lawyer but I wanted to double check that I wasnt wrong (I come from corporate HR so this religious exemption thing is so new to me)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">