• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Percentage of a sentence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

b1234

Can someone help me with this??
I have tried to research the answers myself but was unsuccessful I have read that someone have to serve 25% of their sentence for a nonviolent crime in Maryland with parole and was wondering how accurate this information is and was wondering what is the percentage I they have to serve if they don't have parole?

My second question I also tried to research a similar question but for a violent crime i read that a prisoner have to serve 50% of their sentence violent crime in Maryland with parole and was also wondering if this was accurate as well and what is the percentage of the sentence do they have to serve if they don't have parole?

Just Blue

I have tried to research the answers myself but was unsuccessful I have read that someone have to serve 25% of their sentence for a nonviolent crime in Maryland with parole and was wondering how accurate this information is and was wondering what is the percentage I they have to serve if they don't have parole?

My second question I also tried to research a similar question but for a violent crime i read that a prisoner have to serve 50% of their sentence violent crime in Maryland with parole and was also wondering if this was accurate as well and what is the percentage of the sentence do they have to serve if they don't have parole?
Is this homework or are you in legal trouble?

quincy

What you have read are sentencing guidelines. An offender can be eligible for parole after serving X amount of his sentence - but there are several factors looked at by a parole board in determining if parole should actually be granted.

b1234

Is this homework or are you in legal trouble?
It's for my fiance he is incarcerated as of now and really need to find out these answers I tried calling and chatting with attorneys and people to give legal advice but so far I'm unsuccessful!!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It's for my fiance he is incarcerated as of now and really need to find out these answers I tried calling and chatting with attorneys and people to give legal advice but so far I'm unsuccessful!!
That's because HE needs to be talking to HIS attorney.

quincy

You will not find a definitive answer. How long an offender remains in prison depends not only on his sentence but on other factors, like credits your fiance earns in prison and on his behavior in prison.

For example, if your fiance assaults a prison guard, he will not be seeing the outside of a prison for a long time. If your fiance does all that is asked and expected of him, on the other hand, he may be released after serving only the mandatory minimum time for his crime.

You have a waiting game. I would not plan a wedding until he is actually released from prison and is free from release supervision.

Good luck.

Just Blue

That's likely because attorney wants to be paid to "chat". Call the state Attorney Bar and get a referral to an attorney and make an appt for a consult. This will likely be at a reduced fee...around 50.00 +.

quincy

That's likely because attorney wants to be paid to "chat". Call the state Attorney Bar and get a referral to an attorney and make an appt for a consult. This will likely be at a reduced fee...around 50.00 +.
There really is no definitive answer to be had. The amount of time the fiance will serve is up to the parole board.

b1234

You will not find a definitive answer. How long an offender remains in prison depends not only on his sentence but on other factors, like credits your fiance earns in prison and on his behavior in prison.

For example, if your fiance assaults a prison guard, he will not be seeing the outside of a prison for a long time. If your fiance does all that is asked and expected of him, on the other hand, he may be released after serving only the mandatory minimum time for his crime.

You have a waiting game. I would not plan a wedding until he is actually released from prison and is free from release supervision.

Good luck.
Thank you

quincy

Thank you
You're welcome, b1234. I appreciate the thanks.

I know the waiting must be hard for you but it is no doubt far harder for your fiance. And this can be good, if it keeps your fiance from committing crimes in the future.

I suggest you find other things to occupy your time rather than concentrating on your fiance's time in prison. You eventually will learn when he is eligible for parole and you can be of help to him then with a statement to the parole board.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">