• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HELP! Check Nightmare

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbenoist

But earlier you wrote
So if the check was cashed three days ago, don't you still have that money? Why do you need a payment plan?
because I don't have the money....again, completely under the impression the money was for me to use, so i did. Bills and what not

ajkroy

Not to sound like the one to rain on the parade here, but a nearly-40 year-old woman posting her financial woes on the internet sounds like she was fishing for money in the first place. Then to spend $2K of someone else's money in two days is extreme. At least to me.

OP, what do you do for work?

PayrollHRGuy

The check(s) in question are legitimate checks. I talked to the bank listed on the checks and they advised me to speak to my financial orginzation to discuss a payment plan to pay back the money and keep us in good standing. They believe the checks were sent to me in an attempt to scam the bank. Either way, since I did contact them, they are working with me to prevent legal action, I just have to get a hold of the bank that the check was cashed at to work something out
No, they are not. The account may be legit but checks for that account with your name on them are most certainly not.

Once the actual bank customer complains that they not only didn't write the checks but the name printed on the check isn't theirs's the checks will be returned to the bank where you cashed them and they will debit the account of the person that cashed them.

Where did you get the number for the bank you called? It wasn't printed on the check was it?

cbenoist

Not to sound like the one to rain on the parade here, but a nearly-40 year-old woman posting her financial woes on the internet sounds like she was fishing for money in the first place. Then to spend $2K of someone else's money in two days is extreme. At least to me.

OP, what do you do for work?
I'm disabled. As for the posting of stuff, it happened after my father passed away and just a long string of bad. Knowing I have great supportive friends on FB, i went to them with the issues. Just to have someone to talk to who could just listen and not judge. This guy started messageing me and have months of chatting and him consistently offering to send money, ALL of which I denied, he asked if he could have my address. I didn't see a problem in it, then the checks came in.

No, they are not. The account may be legit but checks for that account with your name on them are most certainly not.

Once the actual bank customer complains that they not only didn't write the checks but the name printed on the check isn't theirs's the checks will be returned to the bank where you cashed them and they will debit the account of the person that cashed them.

Where did you get the number for the bank you called? It wasn't printed on the check was it?
I looked the bank up, called them gave them the information on the checks. They confirmed that the numbers matched and there was money in the account. The checks themselves were indeed sent from the bank itself....so he had to have requested them to be sent to me. Which is where the problem stems from....

quincy

I reported your post. You really should not post your personal identifying information so freely.

I agree with you that the checks look real.

You should see an attorney for a personal review. This appears to be a rather elaborate scam. Most scammers do not go to all of the trouble this one has.

cbenoist

I reported your post. You really should not post your personal identifying information so freely.

I agree with you that the checks look real.

You should see an attorney for a personal review. This appears to be a rather elaborate scam. Most scammers do not go to all of the trouble this one has.
Sorrry, didn't think about editing out my info....just wanted to prove that the check book does look very very real.

Eekamouse

So who is this guy? Did you do a search on him via Google to see what comes up? Did you do search with the name he gave you and the word scam and see what came up from that search?

cbenoist

It does indeed look real.

Do you know whose bank account it is? Was this a new account?
It isn't a new account, and yes at least I believe I know who's account it is.

So who is this guy? Did you do a search on him via Google to see what comes up? Did you do search with the name he gave you and the word scam and see what came up from that search?
I did look him up, months ago prior to any mention of money and everything seemed legit. Now he wants me to cash at $4000 check to send him money in lieu of pressing charges for the $2000...he conveyed that to a friend of mine since I have him blocked.

quincy

It isn't a new account, and yes at least I believe I know who's account it is.

I did look him up, months ago prior to any mention of money and everything seemed legit. Now he wants me to cash at $4000 check to send him money in lieu of pressing charges for the $2000...he conveyed that to a friend of mine since I have him blocked.
Continue to ignore him.

He cannot "press charges," by the way. He could file a report with the police and the police could investigate and, depending on the results of the investigation, the police could turn the matter over to the prosecutor to pursue charges against you. He is unlikely to do any of that.

So ignore him and file your complaints with the State and the police, and see an attorney in your area for direction and to protect your rights.

Good luck.

cbenoist

Continue to ignore him.

He cannot "press charges," by the way. He could file a report with the police and the police could investigate and, depending on the results of the investigation, the police could turn the matter over to the prosecutor to pursue charges against you. He is unlikely to do any of that.

So ignore him and file your complaints with the State and the police, and see an attorney in your area for direction and to protect your rights.

Good luck.
yea, because he telling my friends that if I don't comply he'll take drastic measures, saying I stole from him.

Heard from one attorney that "Since they sent you the checks with your name on them I doubt they can claim your use as a crime against them"

Last edited:

quincy

yea, because he telling my friends that if I don't comply he'll take drastic measures, saying I stole from him.

Heard from one attorney that [link removed]
Sounds right. As long as the account was theirs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">