• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question in regards to helping a victim of a sexual assault.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dmacias15

My friend was drugged & then raped... it's been a couple weeks since the incident & she's ready to file a police report but she's scared since she is currently on probation for a DUI she received earlier this year & isn't supposed to be drinking. Can this somehow be used against her as a probation violation at some point during the investigation or if it gets to go to court??

Thank you in advance for any input.

CdwJava

My friend was drugged & then raped... it's been a couple weeks since the incident & she's ready to file a police report but she's scared since she is currently on probation for a DUI she received earlier this year & isn't supposed to be drinking. Can this somehow be used against her as a probation violation at some point during the investigation or if it gets to go to court??

Thank you in advance for any input.
First off, in what state did this occur?

Second, while it might be possible she COULD get in trouble for drinking, I think it highly unlikely given the circumstances. Not to mention the fact that there will no longer be any real proof of the alcohol violation.

Your friend needs to report this crime. However, understand that there will be serious difficulties in pursuing the case at this late date because any physical evidence is likely to be gone as well as any physiological evidence. That does not mean it will be impossible, but, your friend - and you - should understand that this will not find an immediate resolution and may not find a legal resolution at all.

Encourage your friend to get into counseling immediately. She should not allow this to fester any longer and I strongly suggest she reach out for professional help to assist her in coping.

Good luck.

dmacias15

First off, in what state did this occur?

Second, while it might be possible she COULD get in trouble for drinking, I think it highly unlikely given the circumstances. Not to mention the fact that there will no longer be any real proof of the alcohol violation.

Your friend needs to report this crime. However, understand that there will be serious difficulties in pursuing the case at this late date because any physical evidence is likely to be gone as well as any physiological evidence. That does not mean it will be impossible, but, your friend - and you - should understand that this will not find an immediate resolution and may not find a legal resolution at all.

Encourage your friend to get into counseling immediately. She should not allow this to fester any longer and I strongly suggest she reach out for professional help to assist her in coping.

Good luck.
First off, thank you so much for taking the time to reply... I really appreciate it. This all has been very overwhelming & hard to cope with.

This happened in Texas. We’ve done some research & understand that it will be a tough process & perhaps a long shot, to pursue the case. It’s going on a month now that it occurred, and as far as evidence goes, there isn’t much.

She recollects a few pieces of info, what side of town, the type of car, & even what the guy looks like. We hope this could be of some help but she is worried about the DUI in her past being brought up & then having to deal with repercussions or a possible probation violation.

Thank you again for your words.

Just Blue

If she isn't seeking therapy, please urge her to do so.

I do hope they catch/convict the SOB who assaulted her.

quincy

First off, thank you so much for taking the time to reply... I really appreciate it. This all has been very overwhelming & hard to cope with.

This happened in Texas. We’ve done some research & understand that it will be a tough process & perhaps a long shot, to pursue the case. It’s going on a month now that it occurred, and as far as evidence goes, there isn’t much.

She recollects a few pieces of info, what side of town, the type of car, & even what the guy looks like. We hope this could be of some help but she is worried about the DUI in her past being brought up & then having to deal with repercussions or a possible probation violation.

Thank you again for your words.
It should not be a probation violation if your friend was drugged against her will - and there is little evidence to support a violation at this point anyway.

What your friend should want to do is to report to the police what happened to her to hopefully prevent her attacker from sexually assaulting anyone else.

And, as the others have said, she should seek out a rape counselor.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">