• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SSDI working abroad

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

epatssd

Will a foreign country that has a totalization agreement with the U.S notify the SSA or IRS if someone is working abroad? What if someone forgets to notify the SSA about the work. I am wondering if they will notify the U.S during a CDR? I think there might be questionnaires. Does anyone work abroad and have more info?

Last edited:

adjusterjack

Will a foreign country that has a totalization agreement with the U.S notify the SSA or IRS if someone is working abroad?
Doesn't matter if they do or they don't.

YOU have to notify the SSA of your work and income. Otherwise you risk losing benefits and maybe even prison for fraud.

epatssd

I am trying to figure out if someone forgets to notify the SSA or IRS if they will find out. Thanks for your response. I am aware of the rules. In the U.S there seems like a very high probability they will find out about a job. I just am unsure about foreign countries.

Just Blue

I am trying to figure out if someone forgets to notify the SSA or IRS if they will find out. Thanks for your response. I am aware of the rules. In the U.S there seems like a very high probability they will find out about a job. I just am unsure about foreign countries.
If you do what YOU KNOW to be legally required, what the your employer does, or doesn't do, is irrelevant.

epatssd

Please, only comment if you have further insight. I'm aware of the reporting requirements. Basically, my question isn't being answered. Has anyone had experience with this?

Just Blue

Please, only comment if you have further insight. I'm aware of the reporting requirements. Basically, my question isn't being answered. Has anyone had experience with this?
Tying to defraud the Government? Not that they would admit to.

BTW: You really have been answered. No one here can guess if your employer will report. But is truly IS irrelevant as you are required to report.

epatssd

I'm not trying to defraud anything. I never said I was. I am looking for peoples stories. I am looking for peoples experiences working abroad. There is nothing online for foreign abroad workers but a lot of information for people living in the United States. And, i'm basically being harassed by caps locks of people that don't have any idea but the SSA reporting regulations. I'm interested in learning more about the two social security systems in general.

Just Blue

BTW: Capitalizing a word is a way of emphasizing it and you also need to google the definition of "harassed". You asked a question, were answered. If you don't like that answer it doesn't = harassment. ;)

epatssd

I specifically asked if you could not comment unless you knew further. And, for some reason you still are still commenting. I don't want to talk to someone who is accusing me of fraud and being rude. I'm not going to go over the definition of harassment. There are also stalking laws. Please, leave me alone.

epatssd

I am just trying to do research on my own and focus. And, it is agitating not getting anywhere with the caps lock. Feel free to respond in caps lock if you know the answers to my question. Anyways, The SSA is closed on Sundays.

Last edited:

quincy

Thanks for the reply. I already found that link on my own.
Good. Then you found the answer to the question you asked here.

As a note: There has been no stalking or harassment by anyone responding to your thread. Please be pleasant to the volunteers on this site. You are free to ignore what you find unhelpful and take with you what you find helpful (if anything).

Just Blue

I specifically asked if you could not comment unless you knew further. And, for some reason you still are still commenting. I don't want to talk to someone who is accusing me of fraud and being rude. I'm not going to go over the definition of harassment. There are also stalking laws. Please, leave me alone.
Once again: What country are you working in? Do they have offices in the US?

Who responds to a thread is not under your control. All are free to respond as long as they are not vulgar/abusive/post legally correct information. And, thus far, all who have responded met those guidelines. You are free to ignore poster whom you don't agree with. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">