• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Everything's a Mess-Can it be Resolved?!?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

allisonp320

What is the name of your state?- Georgia My dear friend is going through a sort of hell with his situation dealing with his sister. Here's a breakdown of the situation: Their father passed away right at two years ago. No will. They all live in their parents home to care for the mother. Their mother is still alive, but is not well and not expected to live much longer. Before she got to the point of her illness she's at now, she appointed my friend power of attorney. When that occurred, his sister lied to my friend saying that she needed to be appointed administrator so she could clear up a supposed law suit against their deceased father involving him in a car wreck prior to his death, and was being sued by the other party involved in the wreck. We aren't even too sure that this even occurred, and believe she came up with this just to be able to take control over the estates finances. She keeps threatening my friend to have him evicted from their home, and saying she is going to report him as neglecting their mom. She also refuses to allow him to have access to the mother's medications. Let me make this clear, that my friend NEVER has abused or neglected his mom, nor does he have any kind of drug abuse what so ever. His sister on the other hand, does. She also is always putting the responsibility of caring for mom on him and leaves for days at a time, but then comes back, and starts the accusing him of neglect, and the mother starts showing signs of being over medicated to the point that he's starting to believe that she could be trying to have mom face a premature death. Did I mention that his sister was adopted and never has really been close with her mother. Please, can someone give me any advice to tell my friend before he loses his mind. He really feels helpless and doesn't know which way to turn first. Thanks for any help. Looking for a good attorney!

Just Blue

What is the name of your state?- Georgia My dear friend is going through a sort of hell with his situation dealing with his sister. Here's a breakdown of the situation: Their father passed away right at two years ago. No will. They all live in their parents home to care for the mother. Their mother is still alive, but is not well and not expected to live much longer. Before she got to the point of her illness she's at now, she appointed my friend power of attorney. When that occurred, his sister lied to my friend saying that she needed to be appointed administrator so she could clear up a supposed law suit against their deceased father involving him in a car wreck prior to his death, and was being sued by the other party involved in the wreck. We aren't even too sure that this even occurred, and believe she came up with this just to be able to take control over the estates finances. She keeps threatening my friend to have him evicted from their home, and saying she is going to report him as neglecting their mom. She also refuses to allow him to have access to the mother's medications. Let me make this clear, that my friend NEVER has abused or neglected his mom, nor does he have any kind of drug abuse what so ever. His sister on the other hand, does. She also is always putting the responsibility of caring for mom on him and leaves for days at a time, but then comes back, and starts the accusing him of neglect, and the mother starts showing signs of being over medicated to the point that he's starting to believe that she could be trying to have mom face a premature death. Did I mention that his sister was adopted and never has really been close with her mother. Please, can someone give me any advice to tell my friend before he loses his mind. He really feels helpless and doesn't know which way to turn first. Thanks for any help. Looking for a good attorney!
Please have your friend join to post for his/her self. It is more effective to deal with the actual legal party. Your friend can call the GA Bar Assoc for a referral to an attorney.

Dandy Don

If your friend wants to continue to help care for his sister, he can go to family court and get a conservatorship which would put him in charge legally to handle her finances. If he wants nothing else to do with this situation, then he should walk away and stop doing anything. There will be court costs/filing fees to do that.

Does mother want to continue with adopted daughter being a POA? I doubt it. If she wants her brother to be POA, then he needs to get a written statement from mother that cancels/revokes the POA that was given to the daughter and then do a new POA for him.

Isn't your friend strong enough to handle/deal with empty threats? If he feels it is warranted, he can get a restraining order against her if necessary.

Tell the mother's doctor about the problem with the access to her medicines.

And he should ask his sister if she has made a last will and testament. What will happen with the home after she dies?

t74

If mother is so seriously ill, he doctor should be asked if she should be referred for hospice care. If this is done, there will be frequenct visits from a medical professional who can assess mother's situation and monitor medication usage.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">