• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Personal cell phone for business use

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I am located in Pennsylvania. I work part time, paid hourly. My employer wants to start accepting payments from customers via credit card . She wants me to use a credit card reader attached to my personal cell phone to do so and install the QuickBooks app. I am uncomfortable doing this and am going to refuse. Can an employer force me to do so or face dismissal?

bcr229

We accept CC payments using one of these readers for our business and we have a specific phone set aside for that. I wouldn't put the app on my personal cell phone, though I know many business owners who do.

If your employer insists you could always get a cheap pay-as-you-go phone and just use it for that purpose.

quincy

I am located in Pennsylvania. I work part time, paid hourly. My employer wants to start accepting payments from customers via credit card . She wants me to use a credit card reader attached to my personal cell phone to do so and install the QuickBooks app. I am uncomfortable doing this and am going to refuse. Can an employer force me to do so or face dismissal?
What sort of job do you have?

Thanks for your response. I mainly don't want to do this because if a person's credit card information gets stolen, I don't want it coming back on me. I was included in a group discussion about it. That day at work I simply told the manager that my phone didn't have enough space on it to download the link i was given in the group discussion.

quincy

Thanks for your response. I mainly don't want to do this because if a person's credit card information gets stolen, I don't want it coming back on me. I was included in a group discussion about it. That day at work I simply told the manager that my phone didn't have enough space on it to download the link i was given in the group discussion.
I think that was smart.

...however the manager isn't the business owner who is making all these decisions. She isn't too keen on the idea either but will probably go along with it if push comes to shove. She's salary. I could use her phone with the card reader but she's not always there. The owner should just purchase a dedicated device but i guess he's trying to save $$. Im not purchasing a separate phone to use. I'm part time and barely make more than minimum wage.

quincy

...however the manager isn't the business owner who is making all these decisions. She isn't too keen on the idea either but will probably go along with it if push comes to shove. She's salary. I could use her phone with the card reader but she's not always there. The owner should just purchase a dedicated device but i guess he's trying to save $$. Im not purchasing a separate phone to use. I'm part time and barely make more than minimum wage.
Well, you potentially can be fired but, for what it’s worth, I agree with your decision.

adjusterjack

If you get fired for saying no, the job wasn't worth having.

bcr229

From an IT security standpoint this is an incredibly bad decision by your employer. Most people don't think about data security or their mobile devices being hacked, and many will browse web sites and install apps willy-nilly. The targeted data won't just be a customer's credit card info, but your employer's bank account as well. This is why when a business or government agency gives out phones for work purposes, whoever uses it typically doesn't have the privilege to install software; it comes pre-loaded and updates or patches are pushed out by the IT team.

quincy

It is not only a security risk for the employer but, for Dustygirl it is also a liability risk, one she should not have to take.

I cannot understand the employer’s reasoning.

Wow. Yes. As the owner of the cell phone I'd be held liable. Our clients are people within the community...a small community...and if any of them have issues with their credit card information being stolen I don't want my reputation tarnished. Or if something were to happen to my employer's account and my employer were to blame me...that would be awful!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">