• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need suggestions for client please

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ItalianEmpath74

I apologize for first post, I cant seem to delete it.
So I have a client who is trying to get custody of her 6 year old son from her grandmother. In return, grandmother is applying to adopt son. Grandmother has child since he was 1. The state took custody from mother due to her drug addiction 6 years ago.
Her mother also was caring for 2 of her other older children.
Since then, she has got treatment & has been clean for almost 4 years. She went into a long term treatment program in Columbus (amethyst).
She has gained full custody back of the other 2 children that were also being cared for by grandmother.
She has made many attempts to see him, even locating him at events and shows up to visit him because her mother (who is very toxic) has not allowed her to see him. It was a difficult process for my client to get her daughter back a d grandmother did same thing with visitation. Mother has pictures showing her and son together, son wants to be with siblings and mom and and his siblings want him with them (I understand this doesn't have much weight in courtrooms).
As soon as my client shared she was filing for custody of her son, grandmother respinded by filing to adopt her son.
Both have lawyers and the first hearing was last week and its unclear what both parties (specifically my client) are to prove or do.
Social Work is my thing & I dont want to tell someone about their job and it's not even close to my knowledge base; HOWEVER, from my experiences with her attorney, they dont seem to really be advocating for her.

Can someone PLEASE help me guide and advocate for this parent? She is truly a success story. Thank you

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
So I have a client who is trying to get custody of her 6 year old son from her grandmother. In return, grandmother is applying to adopt son. Grandmother has child since he was 1. The state took custody from mother due to her drug addiction 6 years ago.
Since then, she has got treatment & has been clean for almost 4 years. She went into a long term treatment program in Columbus (amethyst).
She has gained full custody back of the other 2 children that were also being cared for by grandmother.
She has made many attempts to see him, even locating him at events and shows up to visit him because her mother (who is very toxic) has not allowed her to see him. It was a difficult process for my client to get her daughter back a d grandmother did same thing with visitation. Mother has pictures showing her and son together, son wants to be with siblings and mom and and his siblings want him with them (I understand this doesn't have much weight in courtrooms).
As soon as my client shared she was filing for custody of her son, grandmother respinded by filing to adopt her son.
Both have lawyers and the first hearing was last week and its unclear what both parties (specifically my client) are to prove or do.
Social Work is my thing & I dont want to tell someone about their job and it's not even close to my knowledge base; HOWEVER, from my experiences with her attorney, they dont seem to really be advocating for her.

Can someone PLEASE help me guide and advocate for this parent? She is truly a success story. Thank you
It's not your place to do so. Your "client" is represented by legal counsel. If your client is not happy with said legal counsel, she should fire him/her and hire someone new.

Just Blue

I will tag an Ohio Attorney/GAL that volunteers here. @Ohiogal

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I wonder if the OP is a "social worker" as opposed to her being just someone who does "social work".

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Also mom needs to show a substantial change in circumstances in the life of the child or custodian. Changes in her life don’t matter. Furthermore, that is the threshold issue before she even has a chance to show it would be in the client’s best interest

ItalianEmpath74

Thank you for those of you who responded with suggestions, it is greatly appreciated. Person is aware I reached out & there is no identifying information about their family or county th iui s is occurring in

ItalianEmpath74

Thank you for those of you who responded with suggestions, it is greatly appreciated. Person is aware I reached out & there is no identifying information about their family, also various things I wrote were written for these reasons. No lk was were broke, I was seeking advice for someone I know well. Tag and screenshot whomever you want

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">