• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

FINS runaway

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I am from AR, my mom reported a FINS (families in need of services) petition on me. What happens if I runaway? What if I'm not caught until after I'm 18? I don't have a definite plan, I want to gather some information before deciding what to do.

Just Blue

I am from AR, my mom reported a FINS (families in need of services) petition on me. What happens if I runaway? What if I'm not caught until after I'm 18? I don't have a definite plan, I want to gather some information before deciding what to do.
How old are you? Why is a FINS petition being requested?

quincy

When a Families in Need of Services (FINS) petition is filed by a family, the family’s situation will be investigated/evaluated.

The goal of the DHS’s Division of Youth Services is to help families resolve issues so the family can remain intact.

If you are under the age of 18 when you runaway from your home, you can be picked up and returned to your home. The State potentially could find alternative housing for you.

What difficulties are you having with your family that are making you consider running away?

adjusterjack

Here's some information about FINS, including that the court will appoint you a lawyer.

https://www.co.washington.ar.us/government/departments-a-e/circuit-courts/circuit-court-division-3-juvenile/fins-faq

Whatever issues you have in your home life are nothing compared to what is likely to happen to you if you run away.

My son had serious behavioral issues when he was in high school. At the age of 15 he ran away when we tried to discipline him. He became a drug addict, committed crimes to feed the habit, had several prison sentences. He's been homeless for a long time, sleeping in parking lots or in cargo containers, doing grunt labor for barely enough money to feed himself because nobody will give him a real job because of his criminal record. The really sad part - yesterday was his 50th birthday. He's never recovered from the mistakes of his younger days.

Don't say it can't happen to you. The odds are very much against a runaway teenager. Whatever your problems are, I urge you to take this opportunity to work them out, finish school, and make something of your future.

Just Blue

A young person, male or female, are subjected to rape, assault and even murder. Running away doesn't solve anything, it just gives you a whole lot of new and even scarier problems.

quincy

There is help available to you, regardless of what you are facing in your home. Take advantage of this help. I agree with the others that running away is not your best option.

When a Families in Need of Services (FINS) petition is filed by a family, the family’s situation will be investigated/evaluated.

The goal of the DHS’s Division of Youth Services is to help families resolve issues so the family can remain intact.

If you are under the age of 18 when you runaway from your home, you can be picked up and returned to your home. The State potentially could find alternative housing for you.

What difficulties are you having with your family that are making you consider running away?
It kinda started when my mother met my stepfather. My whole life he's put me down, he's molested me, and my mother has always taken his side. He's said things like "your mother never wanted you", "you're not apart of the family", and "you're never going to be anything but a prostitue". I've fallen into drugs twice, and have attempted to commit suicide. I have committed crimes to pay for my drug habits. I've been sent off to 2 long term residential centers, and several short term impatient centers. I just came back from my second long term residential center about 3 months ago, and all I ever hear is "we can't wait until you turn 18", "we can't wait until you leave". My mother has publicly posted that facebook that she just wants me gone, and that I'm like Chucky. I'm not allowed to go anywhere unless it's with my 1 friend. The only reason I have a phone is so she can track where I am. She leaves for work during the day, and I'm stuck at home with my stepfather, as he is on medical leave from work. It's excruciating pain to have to respond to the man that has hurt me so much. I love my mom with all of my heart, but at this point in my life it feels too much to bare.

There is help available to you, regardless of what you are facing in your home. Take advantage of this help. I agree with the others that running away is not your best option.
I don't want to find an alternative living, because I'm about to be 18 in 5 months. I just doesn't seem worth it.

I
Here's some information about FINS, including that the court will appoint you a lawyer.

https://www.co.washington.ar.us/government/departments-a-e/circuit-courts/circuit-court-division-3-juvenile/fins-faq

Whatever issues you have in your home life are nothing compared to what is likely to happen to you if you run away.

My son had serious behavioral issues when he was in high school. At the age of 15 he ran away when we tried to discipline him. He became a drug addict, committed crimes to feed the habit, had several prison sentences. He's been homeless for a long time, sleeping in parking lots or in cargo containers, doing grunt labor for barely enough money to feed himself because nobody will give him a real job because of his criminal record. The really sad part - yesterday was his 50th birthday. He's never recovered from the mistakes of his younger days.

Don't say it can't happen to you. The odds are very much against a runaway teenager. Whatever your problems are, I urge you to take this opportunity to work them out, finish school, and make something of your future.

I did find this site during my research. I'm terribly sorry about your son, it sounds too familiar. I'm almost done with school, I plan on finishing it out.

Just Blue

It kinda started when my mother met my stepfather. My whole life he's put me down, he's molested me, and my mother has always taken his side. He's said things like "your mother never wanted you", "you're not apart of the family", and "you're never going to be anything but a prostitue". I've fallen into drugs twice, and have attempted to commit suicide. I have committed crimes to pay for my drug habits. I've been sent off to 2 long term residential centers, and several short term impatient centers. I just came back from my second long term residential center about 3 months ago, and all I ever hear is "we can't wait until you turn 18", "we can't wait until you leave". My mother has publicly posted that facebook that she just wants me gone, and that I'm like Chucky. I'm not allowed to go anywhere unless it's with my 1 friend. The only reason I have a phone is so she can track where I am. She leaves for work during the day, and I'm stuck at home with my stepfather, as he is on medical leave from work. It's excruciating pain to have to respond to the man that has hurt me so much. I love my mom with all of my heart, but at this point in my life it feels too much to bare.
Have you gone to the police ad reported the molestation?

Yes.
Have you gone to the police ad reported the molestation?
Yes, I told my mother and she reported it to the police, though she lied about when exactly it happened. At the time I told her, the molestation occurred 6 months prior. She told the police it happened a year and 6 months ago. A detective came and talked to me, and supposedly my parents as well, and it came back that there was no evidence, and the case was dropped.

Just Blue

Yes.

Yes, I told my mother and she reported it to the police, though she lied about when exactly it happened. At the time I told her, the molestation occurred 6 months prior. She told the police it happened a year and 6 months ago. A detective came and talked to me, and supposedly my parents as well, and it came back that there was no evidence, and the case was dropped.
Do you have a therapist or perhaps a school councilor you could talk to?

I know you just want to get the hell out of there but stay till you are 18. Are you going to college?

Do you have a therapist or perhaps a school councilor you could talk to?

I know you just want to get the hell out of there but stay till you are 18. Are you going to college?
I'm homeschooled this year, my parents took me out of public schools. I see a therapist every 2 weeks. I'm unsure if I want to go to college yet or not.

Just Blue

I'm homeschooled this year, my parents took me out of public schools. I see a therapist every 2 weeks. I'm unsure if I want to go to college yet or not.
Have you discussed it with your therapist?

Try college Honey...It will open up a new world of people and adventures for you. And will allow you to have more choices in life once you join the work force. Don't allow that POS SF words to place doubt about your abilities.

adjusterjack

I did find this site during my research. I'm terribly sorry about your son,
Thanks.

Have you considered enlisting in the Army? I don't know if you'll get past the drug and rehab history but it couldn't hurt to have a sit down with a recruiter. Your Mom may be happy to consent.

By the way, where's your bio Dad while all this has been happening?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">