• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Prescription drug containers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ddmz

What is the name of your state? MD

I have a prescription for 20mg of Lexapro. I went out of town for the weekend and I put two of my pills in my old prescription container which was for 10mg. Someone told me this is illegal. Is this actually the case?

adjusterjack

What is the name of your state? MD

I have a prescription for 20mg of Lexapro. I went out of town for the weekend and I put two of my pills in my old prescription container which was for 10mg. Someone told me this is illegal. Is this actually the case?
You risk being arrested for possessing a controlled substance without being able to prove that you have a prescription for it.

Carry it in the original labeled containers.

quincy

You can ask your pharmacist to provide you with a small labeled prescription bottle so you don’t have to carry a large container when traveling.

Here is a link to an older thread posted to this forum on carrying prescription drugs in something other than the original labeled container. Although the thread was posted on Michigan laws, there is no difference in the trouble you can get into if stopped by the police.
https://forum.freeadvice.com/threads/carry-prescription-in-a-different-container-than-they-were-dispensed-in.608587/

Last edited:

ddmz

You can ask your pharmacist to provide you with a small labeled prescription bottle so you don’t have to carry a large container when traveling.

Here is a link to an older thread posted to this forum on carrying prescription drugs in something other than the original labeled container. Although the thread was posted on Michigan laws, there is no difference in the trouble you can get into if stopped by the police.
https://forum.freeadvice.com/threads/carry-prescription-in-a-different-container-than-they-were-dispensed-in.608587/
So these were in my prescription bottle, with medicine name, dr. information, my information, the only difference was the two pills were 20mg instead of 10mg.

quincy

So these were in my prescription bottle, with medicine name, dr. information, my information, the only difference was the two pills were 20mg instead of 10mg.
If you carry your prescribed medication in its original labeled bottle - so if stopped by the police they can verify with your doctor/the pharmacy that you are carrying drugs legally prescribed to you - the risk of an arrest over the drugs is probably unlikely ...

... unless, of course, you are stopped for driving under the influence or there is some evidence you are selling drugs to others.

If you need to carry a day’s worth of prescribed medications with you, you should ask your pharmacist for a small properly labeled bottle.

If you are prescribed 20 mg and the pills are 20mg, the label should say 20mg and not 10mg.

Last edited:

quincy

Just for clarity, Lexapro is an antidepressant. It is not scheduled.
A labeled container is important, then, so that the police (in the event of a stop) can easily identify the medication and confirm the prescription.

A problem is more likely to arise when the drugs are not identified. Lexapro pills, for example, resemble Oxycodone pills. The police are not going to guess at what the medication is. They can arrest first, confirm the prescription later.

Last edited:

ajkroy

A labeled container is important, then, so that the police (in the event of a stop) can easily identify the medication and confirm the prescription.

A problem is more likely to arise when the drugs are not identified. Lexapro pills, for example, resemble Oxycodone pills. The police are not going to guess at what the medication is. They can arrest first, confirm the prescription later.
Agreed. I was just letting the forum know what type of prescription we were discussing.

quincy

Yes. I must take a scheduled medication daily. If not, I can have deadly seizures. It is a pain to travel but I always keep mine in their original bottles sans my pill reminder by my bed. I take a lot for other issues like IBS and allergies so I can forget at times. But my scheduled meds always are in their bottle. I do believe all RX meds must be in their bottles but I doubt an officer will care about my RX med that helps me go to the bathroom or my Prilosec if i have them in my daily reminder. If so, doubt it would go anywhere.

I am not sure why lexapro would be such a huge deal but as someone stated they could resemble a narcotic. And you may or may not be able to ge charges dropped. But Xanax in the floor or any scheduled drug....yeah. BIG deal.
This thread is from 2019. Please do not revive old threads.

Your post was reported for moderator review.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">