• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how do cases get re-opened after the appeals period ends?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

schwanzal

I know there are some situations where years or even decades later a case is being re-opened due to new advances in technology like DNA testing. I am wondering what the legal mechanism is to do so. My understanding is that there is only a limited time during which a case can be appealed and if that has not occurred that there is no more recourse. And yet, some cases are being reopened and re-tried. What is the term for this legal procedure and what are the steps involved? Thank you

Just Blue

I know there are some situations where years or even decades later a case is being re-opened due to new advances in technology like DNA testing. I am wondering what the legal mechanism is to do so. My understanding is that there is only a limited time during which a case can be appealed and if that has not occurred that there is no more recourse. And yet, some cases are being reopened and re-tried. What is the term for this legal procedure and what are the steps involved? Thank you
What state?

quincy

If schwanzal, or someone schwanzal knows, is looking for post-conviction relief or to reopen a case, an attorney is probably the only way to do so successfully.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Strange - my post was reported?

You need an attorney, as was pointed out more than once. No need to report me telling you that.

The term you are looking for is "ATTORNEY"

Just Blue

Washington. Thank you for your replies. Do these rules only apply to people currently incarcerated or could someone who was already released also avail themselves of such procedures?
I don't advise members that abuse the "report" function.

quincy

Washington. Thank you for your replies. Do these rules only apply to people currently incarcerated or could someone who was already released also avail themselves of such procedures?
Why did you report Zigner’s post?

What exactly is your situation? Were you convicted of a crime, incarcerated, and released from jail/prison on probation or parole?

If so, an attorney in your area can go over with you your available options. Post-conviction relief comes in various forms.

Links to some information on post-conviction relief, Washington state:

https://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=10.73.090

https://www.kingcounty.gov/depts/prosecutor/criminal-overview/post-conviction.aspx

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">