• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My superiors are saying nasty things

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I'll give a brief summary. I work at a gas and oil company. I have a supervisor on site and a manager over everyone. Several months ago, my supervisor called me inappropriate names verbally in front of the manager. I notified HR and they said it was dealt with. I moved on. A couple months after that, the same supervisor accidentally texted me calling me more inappropriate names. He meant to send it to my manager. HR said they dealt with it again. Just weeks after that, i obtained recordings of my manager having a conversation with others including that supervisor where he is also saying equally inappropriate if not more inappropriate things about me.

The company has offered me the opportunity to leave the company and collect a small severance because of this. Before i accept the offer, I would like to know if i have legal recourse? I'm tempted to accept the offer and be done with this company but I don't want it to void any other legal options i have. I am in the state of Georgia.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Can you be more descriptive? Without using explicit profanity, what type of "inappropriate names" were you called?

My supervisor called me a "C*ck sucker", " and a mother f*cker" verbally. That was the first incident. After that was supposedly dealt with, the same supervisor accidentally texted me calling me a "F*cker" when he meant to send it only to my manager. That was the second incident and HR said they would deal with it again. After that, i have a recording of my manager telling someone, " Just call him a c*ck sucker...". I assume they were joking about the first incident. I also have a recording of the same manager having a conversation with the supervisor and another employee where he says he doesnt care if i "live or die". He says i'm a "useless human being" and he implies he's working on "getting rid of him". I also have a recording of the third employee who is not a supervisor or manager calling me a "f*cker" to my manager and him soothing her and telling her he has reported me instead of telling her, "dont call him that".

Also, i haven't gone through all of the audio. I'm sure there is more.

Zigner

Please understand that those recordings are illegal. You committed a crime by making those recordings.

Please understand that those recordings are illegal. You committed a crime by making those recordings.

The recordings weren't intended to catch them saying things. Not too long ago, someone stole airpods off my desk so i set up a camera recording my area. The office itself has no working surveillance of any kind. I just thought to comb through the audio after the second incident. Should i stop recording?

I see the possibility for a claim of harassment/hostile work environment.

You made your supervisor aware of the harassment and it continued despite your complaints.

Thanks for your input. The reason i asked is because i'm not in a financial situation to easily obtain legal council and i want to be sure I have something valid first. I don't want to jeopardize their offer of severance by taking legal action against them if I have no case. I was honestly surprised they offered it.

Zigner

The recordings weren't intended to catch them saying things. Not too long ago, someone stole airpods off my desk so i set up a camera recording my area. The office itself has no working surveillance of any kind. I just thought to comb through the audio after the second incident. Should i stop recording?
Absolutely. As I said, what you are doing is a criminal act.

quincy

Surreptitious audio recording is a crime in Georgia.

Here is a link to the law Zigner referenced:
http://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/georgia-recording-law

Zigner

Thanks for your input. The reason i asked is because i'm not in a financial situation to easily obtain legal council and i want to be sure I have something valid first. I don't want to jeopardize their offer of severance by taking legal action against them if I have no case. I was honestly surprised they offered it.
Me too - and if you tell them that you have recordings, you can be fired FOR CAUSE.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">