• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cop searched my uhaul just cause my tag light was dim.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CdwJava

The criminal history is available on these license plate checks.
The link above is bad.

So, in Michigan their DMV license plate (registration) files have all the necessary and pertinent registered owner information necessary for a criminal history check??? That's rather ... complete! I have never run an out of state plate and received sufficient information for such a check, but, maybe I don't recall running a MI plate. I'll have to try it and see.

quincy

You can try to access the Michigan site by using the same link information I provided but putting it in your own search bar. For some reason my phone is having problems with hyphens which makes the links unlink-able.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
I guess the impact of the ACLU and other liberal politicians is not felt as keenly off the west coast since we CANNOT access it so easily. CORI (criminal offender records) are extremely restricted out here.
Not just the west coast. In NY I can be charged criminally for running a criminal history without a valid reason - and a traffic stop is far from a valid reason. For the most part it either has to be part of a background investigation for employment or the subject is under arrest.

I can do it easily enough, but if it's caught by an audit I can be in serious trouble.

quincy

Not just the west coast. In NY I can be charged criminally for running a criminal history without a valid reason - and a traffic stop is far from a valid reason. For the most part it either has to be part of a background investigation for employment or the subject is under arrest.

I can do it easily enough, but if it's caught by an audit I can be in serious trouble.
I suppose it depends on the traffic stop.

CdwJava

Ditto here. And they DO audits! I was the Agency Terminal Coordinator for 13 years, and have been a NCIC/CLETS instructor for 17. The state and the feds can be a bit probing.

CdwJava

I suppose it depends on the traffic stop.
There are exceedingly few traffic stops that will justify a criminal history check in the field. *IF* I came across a firearm and wanted to determine whether there was a prior disqualifying conviction, then, maybe (and did not have probable cause for an arrest). Otherwise, I'm hard pressed to conceive of one. After an arrest, sure. Prior, and in the field? Not too likely.

quincy

There are exceedingly few traffic stops that will justify a criminal history check in the field. *IF* I came across a firearm and wanted to determine whether there was a prior disqualifying conviction, then, maybe (and did not have probable cause for an arrest). Otherwise, I'm hard pressed to conceive of one. After an arrest, sure. Prior, and in the field? Not too likely.
Interesting. And I guess good for people with criminal histories to know.

CdwJava

Interesting. And I guess good for people with criminal histories to know.
Considering a criminal history is generally irrelevant to current offenses (aside from the aforementioned sort of offenses), it simply is. If they are smart enough, they already know that their criminal history is not relevant to a field contact unless it resulted in an arrest warrant or landed them on probation or parole. Most probably don't put any thought into such things.

quincy

Considering a criminal history is generally irrelevant to current offenses (aside from the aforementioned sort of offenses), it simply is. If they are smart enough, they already know that their criminal history is not relevant to a field contact unless it resulted in an arrest warrant or landed them on probation or parole. Most probably don't put any thought into such things.
Again, interesting. That could be somewhat of a comfort to those who are stopped and might fear unfair police treatment because of their criminal past.

CdwJava

Again, interesting. That could be somewhat of a comfort to those who are stopped and might fear unfair police treatment because of their criminal past.
Why is it "interesting"? One's criminal history rarely ever establishes probable cause for current incidents. Knowledge of one's past can - in some instances - be used to contribute to reasonable suspicion under the right circumstances. But, knowledge of said past criminal history usually comes from personal knowledge of involved officers, or a readback or display (on a MCT) of local contacts. Running a criminal history in the field is uncommon, and in many/most cases (like ours out here) generally verboten per law and policy. Local contacts and records are not the same as state or federal CORI/III files (criminal histories).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">