• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I answered a complaint for me and a friend, is that okay?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
That says nothing about translations. The courtroom translators are not attorneys. People who translate documents for attorneys are not attorneys. I translate and notarize documents as an accurate translation all the time. Many of them are used in court. Someone who does not speak english well has the right to a translator.

There is a difference between translating and writing the document for someone. I acknowledge that. I would hope that you would as well.
But the courtroom translators are SWORN and have certain credentials. In Ohio (and most likely other states) they have been certified by the Supreme Court to provide translation. You are speaking from no background and no understanding of the law.

xz2019

According to NC Law:
https://law.onecle.com/north-carolina/84-attorneys-at-law/84-4.html
"North Carolina Industrial Commission, or the Utilities Commission; to maintain, conduct, or defend the same, except in his own behalf as a party thereto"

Note: "Except in his own behalf as a party thereto". Since the plaintiff sued Tony and Me as a party. So Tony and me answered as a PARTY for our SELF. So, an attorney said, I'm right, the plaintiff Joe's attorney is wrong.

quincy

According to NC Law:
"North Carolina Industrial Commission, or the Utilities Commission; to maintain, conduct, or defend the same, except in his own behalf as a party thereto"

Note: "Except in his own behalf as a party thereto". Since the plaintiff sued Tony and Me as a party. So Tony and me answered as a PARTY for our SELF. So, an attorney said, I'm right, the plaintiff Joe's attorney is wrong.
I believe you are mistaken and I believe Joe’s attorney is right. You cannot answer for Tony. You are not an Industrial Commission or Utilities Commission.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Since the plaintiff sued Tony and Me as a party. So Tony and me answered as a PARTY for our SELF. So, an attorney said, I'm right, the plaintiff Joe's attorney is wrong.
No. You and Tony were not sued as a single party. You were both named in the lawsuit, but you are each separate parties. You may represent yourself, but you may not represent any other party in the case.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
According to NC Law:

I love how you have a link to North Carolina General Statutes § 84-4 Persons other than members of State Bar prohibited from practicing law,
and STILL try to justify your unlawful actions. *roll eyes*

You are functionally illiterate.

Tony been charged as an individual; the two of you do not constitute a "party" for the purposes of this legal action.

The fact that you and Tony have separate paperwork shows this. You are not Tony.

Last edited:

quincy

Interesting, perhaps, is that Joe the plaintiff was Jon the plaintiff in one of the other many previous threads. :unsure:

xz2019

To all, actually, Joe and I sued as a PARTY.
Here is the detail of the case:
I did some construction on my lot. Then HOA sued my wife and me, since our house is property of both my wife and me. HOA sued us as a PARTY!
So, we answered as a PARTY.
Then HOA's attorney said my wife not know English, then filed the 'Strike for the Answer' for my illegal practice of law for my wife.

Then I asked an attorney, she gave us the the link

The rule 84-4 considered the case exactly for us! It put an EXCEPTION for this

quincy

Your explanation only indicates to me that you are in need of an attorney - preferably one who can tell you from a utilities commission. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">