• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

a YEAR for a pipe???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Possible, yes. They wouldn't even prosecute them around here.
There is also the issue that any evidence against the OP was destroyed.
Going to be a tough case to prove if he asks to see the pipe in court.
Also if he was charged with possession of meth he can ask for the field test results.

CdwJava

Also if he was charged with possession of meth he can ask for the field test results.
I'm not sure how the pipe was destroyed - the OP didn't say. There may be a presumptive test, there may not. Policies on whether lab verification is necessary or not vary by county. The expense of a lab test for meth is such that many counties will drop the matter if it looks like a fight, or not pursue dope charges at all. It's not worth the staff and lab expense for a small fine (that often is not paid due to financial hardship) and little to no jail time.

But, if there is nothing more than observation of the pipe and no presumptive or lab test for meth, then about the only thing they might have is the pipe for 6 months and/or $1,000 - likely far less than 6 months if any time in custody at all.

CdwJava

New Hampshire?
Still at the top of the list! And we now have a pair of other couples looking there, too! Actively trying to find time to fly out there in February or over Easter.

(Though Florida has made an appearance in the top three states of preference as of last summer)

quincy

To me, from this distance and based only on what has been said so far, there appears to be a lot for a defense attorney to work with in getting the charges dismissed.

adjusterjack

Well, we're allowing felons on juries and actively recruiting parolees and convicted felons to serve on police accountability boards, so ....
How ironic. Coddling criminals and I can't bring my (legally owned and carried) handgun into California unless it's packed away where it's useless. smh.

I'm not sure how the pipe was destroyed - the OP didn't say. There may be a presumptive test, there may not. Policies on whether lab verification is necessary or not vary by county. The expense of a lab test for meth is such that many counties will drop the matter if it looks like a fight, or not pursue dope charges at all. It's not worth the staff and lab expense for a small fine (that often is not paid due to financial hardship) and little to no jail time.

But, if there is nothing more than observation of the pipe and no presumptive or lab test for meth, then about the only thing they might have is the pipe for 6 months and/or $1,000 - likely far less than 6 months if any time in custody at all.
According to the police report, the cop accidentally dropped it before it could be placed in an evidence bag, and it shattered.

He should discuss it, but he seems pretty determined not to enter into diversion. It's an argument I have heard a lot - more so since the passage of Prop 47 and AB 109. When one considers the psychology of the addict it becomes easier to understand the <cough> "logic" </cough> in their decision-making process.
he is a she. rainbowgangstarr is a girl.

quincy

You should have a good criminal defense attorney helping you - but the fact that the driver of the car was speeding and the driver consented to the search does not work in your favor.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">