• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Low tag light on a rented uhaul

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AngelC

What is the name of your state? Texas what is the standard procedure an officer follows when pulling over a 50+ year old calm female at close to 5 am in the freezing cold who advises she has post dramatic stress disorder?

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
What is the name of your state? Texas what is the standard procedure an officer follows when pulling over a 50+ year old calm female at close to 5 am in the freezing cold who advises she has post dramatic stress disorder?
That depends very much on what happens after the officer contacts the driver. For the most part the stop will go the same way as any other. The fact that the driver has PTSD does not mean the officer must alter how the stop is done. The officer can't control that it's early in the morning and cold, and the officer isn't going to like standing outside in that anymore than the driver would.

If the driver starts giving the officer a hard time or is uncooperative the encounter is likely to be a lot less pleasant for the driver. On the other hand, if the driver is calm and cooperative then the stop should go pretty smoothly, with nothing more than a citation for the faulty equipment, assuming no evidence was found of something more serious.

Why not tell us what happened and ask whatever questions you may have about any specific thing the cop did?

By the way, you only need to post your question once. The moderator is likely to delete your duplicate thread.

Mass_Shyster

Standard procedures are determined by the agency. Procedures are neither laws nor regulations. I doubt there is a procedure in place specifically for the situation you describe. If there is, it would be specific to the agency that stopped you.

quincy

You never answered the previous questions asked of you. Did you consent to the search of the UHaul? Was anything illegal found on this search?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
It doesn't matter how calm the motorist is or what he/she says about PTSD. None of that is known prior to the stop and I treat every vehicle stop as a potential problem.

There are only two kinds of vehicle stops - high risk and unknown risk. I am not trusting my life to you because you say you're a nice person.

That would depend on why the officer stopped you.
Could it be you had a load of 'free' stuff given away by a local business and you could only pick it up at 5am?
As for PTSD. Is that a self diagnosis or from a doctor?

Gail in Georgia

Hey, for what it's worth, this 68 year old calm female got stopped last weekend while I was trapping cats for a TNR project. It may have caused me to suddenly develop PTSD when the blue lights suddenly turned on in my mirror but I was in a bad section of town and it was already dark. Didn't help that 2 minutes after the stop 2 more police cars and an SUV that held a drug dog also pulled up. I was told the initial reason for the stop was a burned out bulb on my tag light but checking later found this wasn't true; the real reason was the area I was trapping in is great for picking up drugs.
In the end, I had a short but nice conversation with the cop who stopped me as he had also rescued several dogs in his county that eventually went up north to be adopted to good homes.
Stuff happens. The OP needs to get over this.

Gail

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Some people who have genuine PTSD are prescribed medication, which may affect their driving ability.
https://www.ptsd.va.gov/understand_tx/meds_for_ptsd.asp
And if a doctor has diagnosed the condition Texas DMV may put restrictions on her license as they class PTSD as a psychiatric disorder.
file:///C:/Users/Neil/AppData/Local/Temp/MABDriverLimitationGuide.pdf
Page 21.
Your PDF link didn't come out right...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">