• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Amendment to Will in California

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Free2Bee

California
My grandfathers Will was updated in 2004 shortly after my grandmother passed. He was in a relationship with another woman since 2005 until this year, in which she lived with grandfather in his home during that entire time. She was evicted this year due to abuse, and other legally questionable acts that may have taken place. She may have been forging my grandfathers signature, as he is legally blind, and though we have the actual 2004 Will, she may have created one with his signature without his knowledge. How can we legally make an amendment to the 2005 Will that any Will created thereafter is unlawful and created without his consent and knowledge, without crwating an entirely new Will?

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
How can we legally make an amendment to the 2005 Will that any Will created thereafter is unlawful and created without his consent and knowledge, without crwating an entirely new Will?
It's not an amendment he needs. He would need a new will as that would revoke all prior wills and thus eliminate the need to prove that any earlier will she created was forged. He may also want to discuss with an attorney other estate plans as well. For example, a revocable trust likely would prove better than just using a will, especially in California. A will should still be there as a back up to catch assets that are not dealt with by trust or some other means, but given the cost and time probate takes in California avoiding probate for most assets is probably a better way to go for him. A lot depends, though, on exactly what assets he's got. He should see an estate planning attorney for help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">