• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Civil suit after reduced sentence?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M6476

New York
Is there grounds for a civil suit after the appeals court has found that the sentenced imposed after a plea of guilty was harsh and excessive - the term of the original sentence was fulfilled and was later resentenced to a reduced sentence.

So. Plea of guilty - serves complete sentence - sentence found to be harsh and excessive - resentenced to half the amount of time.

Is this grounds for a civil suit with monetary compensation?

quincy

For what exactly do you expect compensation?

You pleaded guilty and served your original sentence, as harsh as this sentence was later determined to be. You cannot recover time already served.

M6476

I don't "expect" compensation, I'm asking if it is an instance where compensation should be awarded. And I think you answered the "for what" part yourself - I can't recover time already served. They can't give me back time as compensation so should they give me back something comparable such as money?

Just Blue

I don't "expect" compensation, I'm asking if it is an instance where compensation should be awarded. And I think you answered the "for what" part yourself - I can't recover time already served. They can't give me back time as compensation so should they give me back something comparable such as money?
What was the crime you were convicted of? What was the time served?

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Google “Judicial Immunity”
I agree that the judge cannot be sued for a money judgment out of this. But it might be that the state could be sued for compensation for the OP having been confined illegally as a result of the excessive sentence. I'd suggest the OP see an attorney who litigates civil rights claims in the state where this occurred for advice on that.

quincy

There is a question as to whether the original sentence was within the sentencing guidelines - and the guidelines determined later to be overly harsh - or if the original sentence exceeded the sentencing guidelines.

Although I agree it is worth a personal review, I am not seeing any monetary compensation in M6475’s future.

M6476

So I was sentenced to 3-6 (2 consecutive 1 1/2 to 3). I served 30 months. Appeals court found to be harsh and excessive but within the guideline. Resentenced to 2 concurrent 1 1/2 to 3.

M6476

The grand larceny charges were from shoplifting sunglasses from the mall ($1009 & $1078) the original charges were the same as what I plead guilty to - 2 class E grand larceny charges. However, all of this doesn't seem relevant now that the higher court already ruled.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">