• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

When it comes to vetted attorneys...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

That could help prevent the reporting of the same posters over and over again

I know in the past that, when someone claiming to be an attorney is reported, the moderator uses the poster’s contact information to request credentials. The moderator allows time for a response and, if there is no response from the one claiming to be an attorney, information in the poster’s profile will be edited to remove any attorney references.

But beyond that, we generally are not informed of the poster’s qualifications by anyone but the poster.

It used to be that the attorneys who posted here did not constantly announce or reference the fact that they were attorneys. You Are Guilty let his posts stand on their own, for example (and even insisted he was a hairdresser from Peoria ;)), as did divgradcurl and as does, for the most part, despritfreya.

The theory is that no one’s advice on this forum stands above anyone else’s. No visitor to this site should rely on anyone’s advice here, regardless of a forum member’s particular (proved or unproved) area of expertise.

What is mostly monitored are attorney ads/commercial messages. No soliciting seems to be taken pretty seriously.

*edited: I just noticed what section of the forum this thread is in. Oops.

Last edited:

adjusterjack

No visitor to this site should rely on anyone’s advice here, regardless of a forum member’s particular (proved or unproved) area of expertise.
Yet they do rely on the advice, all day, every day, despite the prominent disclaimer at the bottom of the page.

quincy

Yet they do rely on the advice, all day, every day, despite the prominent disclaimer at the bottom of the page.
Legal information can help educate a poster on the legal issue that brings them to the forum but legal advice must be left to an attorney licensed to practice in a poster’s own jurisdiction retained by the poster to represent him.

It is a mistake for any poster to place greater weight on information offered by an attorney-member who may or may not be any better informed on a particular state’s laws than anyone else.

I know I tend to trust Ohio family law information offered by Ohiogal over Ohio family law information offered by others on this forum, just as I tend to trust bankruptcy information offered by despritfreya. But these attorneys also limit their information to what they know and generally will not go beyond this knowledge.

I am a firm believer that if the information is from a reliable source and can be supported in this way, it doesn’t matter who presents it. It is no less valid coming from, say, an HR professional in Massachusetts as it is coming from a bankruptcy attorney in Arizona.

Last edited:

quincy

Forum members seem to be pretty good about self-policing - pointing out erroneous information and replacing it with accurate information.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I guess it irritates me when someone adds "Lawyer" to their profile when we don't really know if it's so.

LdiJ

I guess it irritates me when someone adds "Lawyer" to their profile when we don't really know if it's so.
I suspect that the vetting process probably chases away some lawyers. I suspect that some of them wouldn't want to provide a website their licensing info.

quincy

I guess we have to trust that the moderators of the forum have reviewed reported-posters posts and profiles and edited them as necessary.

Edit: I just noticed what section of the forum this thread is in so I edited my post.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">