• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

7 yrs criminal background checks, the day you plead guilty or on the day you end probation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

An employer asked to conduct a 7 yr criminal background check. I pled guilty to the felony on January 2013 but didn't get off probation until January of 2015. Someone please help me. Does the conviction start the day I plead guilty or the day I end probation?

Just Blue

An employer asked to conduct a 7 yr criminal background check. I pled guilty to the felony on January 2013 but didn't get off probation until January of 2015. Someone please help me. Does the conviction start the day I plead guilty or the day I end probation?
What state?

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Under federal law a report of a criminal conviction may stay on your background check forever. It does not appear that Illinois has a law that limits the amount of time that a criminal conviction may stay on the background check either.

FlyingRon

If they really have a background check that only looks seven years, it's from the date you were convicted (i.e., the judge accepted your plea and pronounced you guilty). I'm not sure where you'd even order a seven year check from. All of the commercial ones are (as TM points out) forever. I've seen misdemeanors (not sealed or expunged) show up 20 year after the fact. In fact, I see arrests that were dismissed if you don't take the effort to get those removed from your records.

Under federal law a report of a criminal conviction may stay on your background check forever. It does not appear that Illinois has a law that limits the amount of time that a criminal conviction may stay on the background check either.
I understand that. However, the employer only conducts a 7 yr background check. I need to find out from what point does the 7yr timeframe take place. From the day of the conviction or from the day that you end probation. I pled guilty in Court on Jan 2013 but had to come back on Jan 2015 to make sure all my fees and fines were paid off. Probation ended on Jan 2015

Last edited:
If they really have a background check that only looks seven years, it's from the date you were convicted (i.e., the judge accepted your plea and pronounced you guilty). I'm not sure where you'd even order a seven year check from. All of the commercial ones are (as TM points out) forever. I've seen misdemeanors (not sealed or expunged) show up 20 year after the fact. In fact, I see arrests that were dismissed if you don't take the effort to get those removed from your records.
Lady at the staffing agency said it will be a 10 panel drug screen and a 7 yr background check

quincy

When is your employer doing the background check? You can/should run your own check on yourself to see what shows up. I suspect the conviction will show up.

Was your conviction on a crime that precludes employment (e.g., drug conviction/working with drugs; theft conviction/working with money)?

When is your employer doing the background check? You can/should run your own check on yourself to see what shows up. I suspect the conviction will show up.

Was your conviction on a crime that precludes employment (e.g., drug conviction/working with drugs; theft conviction/working with money)?
Yes, it was for retail theft. I was 18 and stole some video games from Target. So you think it will show up?

Edit: I signed the documents yesterday, took the drug screen and I'm assuming they entered the info into the system by today

quincy

Yes, it was for retail theft. I was 18 and stole some video games from Target. So you think it will show up?

Edit: I signed the documents yesterday, took the drug screen and I'm assuming they entered the info into the system by today
I guess all you can do at this point is wait. How much weight an old conviction will be given in a hiring decision is anyone’s guess.

Good luck.

PayrollHRGuy

With the background check companies I currently work with and have in the past it is the date is the end of the sentence/probation period.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">