• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Living under the same roof through divorce what is he allowed to do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I disagree Zig.
You say that you disagree, but then you say the same thing I said.
Unless a judge has ordered that one party have sole use of the marital home, both parties are entitled to be there ...
Absent a court order to the contrary, an OWNER of the property can take the actions stated. An owner can change the locks, and an owner can break in and change them again. EDIT: Again, this is not a landlord/tenant situation, which would be different.
That is why its important that the judge either makes the order or signs off on an agreement.
I agree that court may be the remedy in this situation.

LdiJ

You say that you disagree, but then you say the same thing I said.
Absent a court order to the contrary, an OWNER of the property can take the actions stated. An owner can change the locks, and an owner can break in and change them again. EDIT: Again, this is not a landlord/tenant situation, which would be different.
I agree that court may be the remedy in this situation.
Actually no, in the post I quoted you only said that the poster was wrong, you did not explain why. You did explain why here.

Zigner

Actually no, in the post I quoted you only said that the poster was wrong, you did not explain why. You did explain why here.
You have to INCLUDE the post I quoted, otherwise, it's out of context.

Barrcorr - do you have an income? Can you afford the house on your income alone? Can your husband afford the house on his income alone?

Since your husband is already not being nice, remove all your personal valuables (your jewelry, important documents, etc) to a safe place outside the home.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Yes, we are both owners on the house and deed. Yes, I agree with you. I have done nothing in the house. He keeps pulling these things on me becuase, I think he is trying to push me out. So he can be in the house by himself. I just ignore his behavior because I know he wants a reaction.
Well, you aren't going to both stay there after the divorce.

So, you need to consider, in the long term, will you be able to keep the house: can you afford to keep the house?

LdiJ

You have to INCLUDE the post I quoted, otherwise, it's out of context.
Again Zig, and you do this often, is that you assume that others will pick up on your zingers. In this instance I understood (even with the quoted context) that you were disagreeing that one spouse couldn't lock the other out. In a way, you were actually disagreeing with that, because both spouses could lock the other out but neither one of them could prevent the other from taking steps to gain re-entry. However, you didn't explain that in that post. You just assumed that everyone should understand that is what you meant.

Zigner

Again Zig, and you do this often, is that you assume that others will pick up on your zingers. In this instance I understood (even with the quoted context) that you were disagreeing that one spouse couldn't lock the other out. In a way, you were actually disagreeing with that, because both spouses could lock the other out but neither one of them could prevent the other from taking steps to gain re-entry. However, you didn't explain that in that post. You just assumed that everyone should understand that is what you meant.
It wasn't a zinger :rolleyes:
I'm sorry that you can't keep up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">