• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Husband gave our Jaguar away

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LdiJ

Hi. Me again. We both now have lawyers and he has a no contact order. So my friend reached out to me today to say he's posted this on Facebook: "Does anyone have Wendy's new address? I need it to file for the divorce...."

My attorney said "good for you" when I shared the message and told her I was calling the police. Well, cops said since he was asking for it for a divorce filing it wasn't an arrestable offense.

Does this seem right to anyone? We've always communicated through our attorneys.
Asking for your address is a real no-no since there is a restraining order. He should be having his attorney arranging to serve you via your attorney. However, if the police don't consider it to be a violation, there isn't much you can do about it.

commentator

If I were you, I would remind all my friends, Facebook friends, Instagram, etc. reminding them of the "no contact" order. Then maximize all your privacy settings on all your accounts, or stay off social media, always be cautious in your movements and actions, and ask your attorney to communicate with his attorney regarding anything they need "for a divorce filing."

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Asking for your address is a real no-no since there is a restraining order. He should be having his attorney arranging to serve you via your attorney. However, if the police don't consider it to be a violation, there isn't much you can do about it.
WRONG. Complaints for divorce need served DIRECTLY to the party. He didn't ask her for her address. He asked his friends. I really wish you wouldn't post without having a clue how court works.

OP, Has your attorney stated to opposing counsel what your address for service is?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
He didn't communicate with you, he posted something on a public forum. I don't see how this is a violation of anything.

LdiJ

He didn't communicate with you, he posted something on a public forum. I don't see how this is a violation of anything.
He is attempting to talk someone into giving him her address. It is not appropriate for him to solicit her address.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It may not be appropriate, but it's not a violation of the order, either.

wt817

WRONG. Complaints for divorce need served DIRECTLY to the party. He didn't ask her for her address. He asked his friends. I really wish you wouldn't post without having a clue how court works.

OP, Has your attorney stated to opposing counsel what your address for service is?
No, she advised keeping that information away from him. There has been need for some communication in the last three months and any of those questions have been sent to our individual attorney who then forwards them to the other's attorney with an answer. And if he did show up to serve me those papers (if I'm understanding you saying he'd have to serve me directly- or is via messenger?), he'd immediately be taken away for violation of the no contact order. Alternatively, we will be seeing each other in court in 21 days and I understood that was another for serving me. No?

And thank you all so much for the dialogue.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
No, she advised keeping that information away from him. There has been need for some communication in the last three months and any of those questions have been sent to our individual attorney who then forwards them to the other's attorney with an answer. And if he did show up to serve me those papers (if I'm understanding you saying he'd have to serve me directly- or is via messenger?), he'd immediately be taken away for violation of the no contact order. Alternatively, we will be seeing each other in court in 21 days and I understood that was another for serving me. No?

He wouldn't show up to serve you the papers - the process server would.

LdiJ

He wouldn't show up to serve you the papers - the process server would.
Hopefully he would not try to show up In person. People with restraining orders against themselves have been known to do foolish things.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

He can't serve you but YOU need served -- not your attorney. So therefore he could have you served by Sheriff or process server or in some jurisdictions by fed ex. Court is not necessarily another way of serving you.

wt817

Can someone please explain this to me as it is next to impossible to reach the State's Attorney's Office. I'm attaching a synopsis and my question is how can he keep requesting a new court date? I know USCIS has contacted and requested a 2 year interview on his green card status. Maybe he's trying to put off adjudication on this matter so he doesn't get the kibosh if found guilty before having to attend his USCIS interview (2 year GC to 10). IDK

I have a trip planned for two weeks in February. I've asked the SAO to keep the dates I'll be gone in mind if it came to rescheduling. They made a note, but no promises. I just don't understand how someone can go back to court 2 times in 2 months for a disposition hearing and get a new court date each time.

1/29/202042REQUEST FOR NEW COURT DATE
01/29/2020 DISPOSITION (Judicial Officer: ) (09:00 AM - COURTROOM 31 3RD FLOOR )
12/16/201941NOTICE OF HEARING MISDEMEANOR NOTICE OF HEARING"Defendant: "
"Court Date: 01/29/2020"
12/16/201940 NOTICE OF HEARING MISDEMEANOR NOTICE OF HEARING"BOND COMPANY: BAIL BONDS","
Court Date:01/29/2020"
12/16/201939 NOTICE OF HEARING MISDEMEANOR NOTICE OF HEARING"Private Attorney: X JOHN","Court Date: 01/29/2020" 12/12/201934REQUEST FOR NEW COURT DATE
12/11/201938COURT DOCKET PAGE
12/11/201937STATE ATTORNEY
12/11/201936REQUEST FOR NEW COURT DATE
L12/11/201935DEFENDANT NOT PRESENT
12/11/2019DISPOSITION (Judicial Officer: ) (09:00 AM - COURTROOM 31 3RD FLOOR

Last edited:

PayrollHRGuy

It isn't that hard to understand. They just do it. I've seen judges say "This is the last continuance" and a month later grant yet another "last continuance."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">