• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Beneficiary as Religious Temple Overseas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? NY

I am in poor health and unsure how long I will be on earth.

If I leave everything to Hindu Temple in India in Will, will my husband be able to get anything?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? NY

I am in poor health and unsure how long I will be on earth.

If I leave everything to Hindu Temple in India in Will, will my husband be able to get anything?
Yes, if he is your husband at the time you pass away, he can make a claim against your estate for whatever his intestate share of the estate would have been. Intestate share is the share that he would have gotten if you did not have a will at all.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Not arguing, asking.

Is that the case in NY? State law varies on spousal rights when there is a will

LdiJ

Not arguing, asking.

Is that the case in NY? State law varies on spousal rights when there is a will
That is what I remember from previous NY threads. I will admit that my memory could be faulty.

Yep, I just went and checked...this is what is out there:

When there is a will, New York law says that the surviving spouse is entitled to $50,000 or one-third of the estate, or one-half if there are no children, whichever is greater.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
The laws of most states, including NY, guarantee the spouse a certain minimum amount from your estate regardless of what your will says unless the spouse has agreed to waive his right to elect against the will he will.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thank you for these helpful replies.

My husband would have to fight Temple management all the way from India in a New York court?
No, because probate would occur in the place that you die.
EDIT: I'm assuming that you and your husband are both in New York.

Stephen1

Just a thought, since it appears that you don't want your husband to receive anything when you die perhaps divorce would be an option. Then when you die you don't have a husband.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">