• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Coerced and pressured into accepting severance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jimbond68

Hello. Quick recap of what happened and hoping for some advice on the matter.

I worked for a large insurance firm for 27 years as an executive assistant helping coordinate a team of sales reps. I am a female over 50 years old. After working under one very demanding boss for over 20 years, the relationship started to become very tense with him becoming more and more abusive toward me. He was under a great deal of stress because of an affair he was having with an office worker and his marriage was in duress. He took his anger out on me and our relationship went down hill fast and furious. Then one day, out of the blue, he tells me that the company is likely going to be laying off people and that I am probably one of those who is going to be laid off. He said that he had worked with management to get me a severance package (not much of one) and that his advice would be for me to take it. I didn't give him an answer that day and then a few days later he brought it up again to me saying, "you need to make a decision soon because the deal is not going to be on the table long, and you might end up with nothing." Then a week later at our Christmas party he took me aside and said the same thing again, this time with much more dire effect, stating "I stuck my neck out for you to get you this deal so you need to give an answer or you will not get anything. They are going to lay you off."

That week I told him I would take the severance. I believe him that the company was going to lay off many employees and that if I didn't take it I would not get anything.

A month later a human resources lady came to my office with a severance agreement and I signed it and two months later I was out the door. She never spoke to me about why I was being asked to sign the agreement or why the company had decided to lay me off.

Over a year later, I found out from another member of the sales team that the whole sales team was under the impression that the boss had simply fired me because of the turmoil in the office. That he had spoken often about a need to get rid of me.

On top of that I found out that there was never a big lay off taking place within the company and that no group lay offs ever took place.

I also have a text message from the boss (probably drunk) saying "I did it because I thought it was the best thing for you. The environment was getting to be too much. It was better for you to go." Pretty much admitting that there was no lay off and that he had personally decided that I needed to be terminated.

Now, It seems that the boss wanted me out but because he had no real cause to fire me and because of my exemplary work record and reputation after 27 years it was going to be hard for him to do it, he chose to create this lie that the company was going to lay me off and that I had no choice but to take the severance package. And because of his controlling manner and intimidating behavior toward me for many years, I accepted his word for it and didn't think I had any other choice.

I don't think he ever heard any word from management that I would likely be laid off and that he made the whole thing up. I think he went to HR and lied to them as well, telling them that I had just decided to leave the company because my father had recently died. HR and upper management had no idea that he had told me I would be laid off and that I better take the severance.

My question to any knowledgeable person here is... does the bosses actions as described above make the severance agreement null and void due to pressure, fraud, and coercion? And since he lied to me about getting laid off and I was thus forced into quitting the job and never terminated with due process, do I have a case of unlawful termination?

Thank you for your time and help.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Not having read the terms of the severance agreement, I can't say.

As for the unlawful termination, that depends entirely on the reason he wanted you out. If it was because you are female and/or over 40, that's illegal. Otherwise, it probably wasn't.

jimbond68

Not having read the terms of the severance agreement, I can't say.

As for the unlawful termination, that depends entirely on the reason he wanted you out. If it was because you are female and/or over 40, that's illegal. Otherwise, it probably wasn't.
Thank you for the reply.
What info from the severance package do u need to determine if the actions of the boss would make the agreement null and void? it is the companies form severance agreement from what ican tell

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thank you for the reply.
What info from the severance package do u need to determine if the actions of the boss would make the agreement null and void? it is the companies form severance agreement from what ican tell
You should take your agreement to a local attorney for review in whatever state you are in.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Document review is beyond the scope of this forum and could constitute the illegal practice of law. You'll need to take the agreement to an attorney in your state, as Zig indicates.

jimbond68

Document review is beyond the scope of this forum and could constitute the illegal practice of law. You'll need to take the agreement to an attorney in your state, as Zig indicates.
Thank you.
A document review has not been asked for. The scenerio has been explained in the original post. The question is only... COULD the actions explained by the boss constitute a case of fraud, pressure and /or coercion thus rendering the signed agreement null and void. If you feel uncomfortable answering that as it relates to the specific details, can you explain what actions, in general, might or could constitute fraud, and/or coercion as it relates to a severance agreement.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thank you.
A document review has not been asked for. The scenerio has been explained in the original post. The question is only... COULD the actions explained by the boss constitute a case of fraud, pressure and /or coercion thus rendering the signed agreement null and void. If you feel uncomfortable answering that as it relates to the specific details, can you explain what actions, in general, might or could constitute fraud, and/or coercion as it relates to a severance agreement.
Those are great questions to ask the attorney.

PayrollHRGuy

If you feel uncomfortable answering that as it relates to the specific details, can you explain what actions, in general, might or could constitute fraud, and/or coercion as it relates to a severance agreement.
I'm curious, What part of this...

Then one day, out of the blue, he tells me that the company is likely going to be laying off people and that I am probably one of those who is going to be laid off. He said that he had worked with management to get me a severance package (not much of one) and that his advice would be for me to take it. I didn't give him an answer that day and then a few days later he brought it up again to me saying, "you need to make a decision soon because the deal is not going to be on the table long, and you might end up with nothing." Then a week later at our Christmas party he took me aside and said the same thing again, this time with much more dire effect, stating "I stuck my neck out for you to get you this deal so you need to give an answer or you will not get anything. They are going to lay you off."
... do you think rises to the level of constitute fraud, and/or coercion?

commentator

Yes, I am of the same mind. Did you get the severance? You've been gone for over a year, right? What is something that you believe would make the severance agreement null and void?

As far as what this sounds like, you worked for a place over 20 years. Your relationship with your supervisor declined during this time. They wanted you gone. The supervisor led you to believe you needed to leave, that there was an impending lay off and your job was on the line. Yes, he lied to you. But really, there wasn't anything to stop you from waiting it out and letting them lay you off later with this supposed group. With or without severance, it seems you were someone they wanted gone.

Unless, as has been pointed out to you, the reason you were let go is that you were the only older woman in the workforce and they wanted to get rid of you for that reason, or they didn't want anyone over 40 working for them, or they didn't want anyone of your race, creed or national origin working for them, it very very likely wasn't an illegal termination.

So what do you believe would make this a fraud case? There is nothing illegal about lying to an employee to get them to quit. It happens all the time. There's no real binding agreement that a company has to or does not have to give you severance, it's nice they did. Lots of people have been, as your co workers thought you had been, fired without notice after many years, simply because of conflict with someone else who has the power to terminate them. The old saw is that essentially, they can fire you if they don't like the color of your socks. They don't have to tell you the true reason they're making their decisions, or tell you why you're being terminated. Or why they're offering you severance or trying to get you to leave. They talked you into signing the severance agreement by indicating that you were about to be laid off. There's no way they can't say that was what they thought might happen at that time. You had the option of speaking with HR, going to someone higher up to verify this might be the case. Or as I said, you had the option of sticking around and waiting for the lay offs. You may have been lied to, but you were not forced to quit the job.

There just aren't any labor laws that forbid them to do the things you've described. As for what it says in your severance agreement, take it to an attorney if you wish, but I would be very surprised if there was anything in it that was illegal or was made null and void by the fact that contrary to what you were told, you were the only one let go and they didn't have a mass lay off at the company after you were severed.

Last edited:

bcr229

Were you told that if you resigned, which would make you ineligible for unemployment, then you would get paid severance, but if you didn't then you would get laid off with no severance?

commentator

If this was the case, if the OP was told this, there's still nothing really illegal or lawsuit worthy. And after this length of time, if the OP hasn't found another job, there may not be any unemployment claim left to file for though if she hasn't done so, she should certainly go on and file and see. It comes down to "never trust the Man" to give you career advice or tell you about your unemployment eligibility. This person had the expectation that her employer/supervisor was going to be honest in what she was told and that she could reasonably expect to be treated fairly and honestly and respectfully on the job.

jimbond68

Were you told that if you resigned, which would make you ineligible for unemployment, then you would get paid severance, but if you didn't then you would get laid off with no severance?
Yes. The boss pressured me numerous times to sign the severance because if I didnt I would be laid off and get nothing.

jimbond68

Yes, I am of the same mind. Did you get the severance? You've been gone for over a year, right? What is something that you believe would make the severance agreement null and void?

As far as what this sounds like, you worked for a place over 20 years. Your relationship with your supervisor declined during this time. They wanted you gone. The supervisor led you to believe you needed to leave, that there was an impending lay off and your job was on the line. Yes, he lied to you. But really, there wasn't anything to stop you from waiting it out and letting them lay you off later with this supposed group. With or without severance, it seems you were someone they wanted gone.

Unless, as has been pointed out to you, the reason you were let go is that you were the only older woman in the workforce and they wanted to get rid of you for that reason, or they didn't want anyone over 40 working for them, or they didn't want anyone of your race, creed or national origin working for them, it very very likely wasn't an illegal termination.

So what do you believe would make this a fraud case? There is nothing illegal about lying to an employee to get them to quit. It happens all the time. There's no real binding agreement that a company has to or does not have to give you severance, it's nice they did. Lots of people have been, as your co workers thought you had been, fired without notice after many years, simply because of conflict with someone else who has the power to terminate them. The old saw is that essentially, they can fire you if they don't like the color of your socks. They don't have to tell you the true reason they're making their decisions, or tell you why you're being terminated. Or why they're offering you severance or trying to get you to leave. They talked you into signing the severance agreement by indicating that you were about to be laid off. There's no way they can't say that was what they thought might happen at that time. You had the option of speaking with HR, going to someone higher up to verify this might be the case. Or as I said, you had the option of sticking around and waiting for the lay offs. You may have been lied to, but you were not forced to quit the job.

There just aren't any labor laws that forbid them to do the things you've described. As for what it says in your severance agreement, take it to an attorney if you wish, but I would be very surprised if there was anything in it that was illegal or was made null and void by the fact that contrary to what you were told, you were the only one let go and they didn't have a mass lay off at the company after you were severed.
Who said the supervisor “Led me to believe I needed to leave”? I never said that and it is not true. It was a total surprises to be told I was getting laid off.
And if what I describe... “lying to get an employee to sign” and “threatening getting nothing if you dont sign” isnt considered fraud and under duress, then what is?
The law states that any contract signed under fraudulent circumstances or duress is not legit, including a severance agreement. If it can be proven that he lied about the layoffs, isnt that lying a form of fraud? And threatening “do this or else” a form of duress, especially coming from someone in a dominant/power position?

jimbond68

If this was the case, if the OP was told this, there's still nothing really illegal or lawsuit worthy. And after this length of time, if the OP hasn't found another job, there may not be any unemployment claim left to file for though if she hasn't done so, she should certainly go on and file and see. It comes down to "never trust the Man" to give you career advice or tell you about your unemployment eligibility. This person had the expectation that her employer/supervisor was going to be honest in what she was told and that she could reasonably expect to be treated fairly and honestly and respectfully on the job.
It may not be lawsuit worthy but does it make the severance agreement null and void? That is the first question, because if it may then I can at least pursue thoughts of a lawsuit.

bcr229

Yes. The boss pressured me numerous times to sign the severance because if I didnt I would be laid off and get nothing.
So you want to rescind the contract, pay back the severance, and go file for unemployment at this late date? And what are your damages? As was pointed out, you can be laid off on any day that ends in Y.

You don't own a job. If you get laid off you file for unemployment and go find another job. It's happened to me twice with no warning and no severance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">