• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stolen vehicle title and forged registration in another state.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Oklahoma.

Hello. I have a vehicle that I own, and have possession of, in Oklahoma for the last 2-3 years. My ex girlfriend stole the title, which was solely in my name, and somehow got the registration transferred to Alaska where she now lives. Now I can't even tag the vehicle. What should I do? The Alaska DMV, nor Oklahoma DMV will or can do much for me. The vehicle is not in Alaska, it is in my possession in Oklahoma.

I think she must have. She has admitted that she "accidentally" transferred the registration when she moved, but claims she doesn't have the title. As far as I can tell, forging my name is the only way she can transfer it there. I can report it as stolen, even if I have possession of the actual vehicle still?

quincy

Oh. If you still have the vehicle and the title, you can register the vehicle in your name.

I have the vehicle, and the title was in my name, until she stole it before she moved, and must have forged my signature to transfer the registration to Alaska.

LdiJ

Stole the title, not the vehicle.
Ok, so you are saying that the Oklahoma DMV is telling you that the car is registered in Alaska? What does the DMV in Oklahoma say about the title? Are they showing it as owned by her or you?

Yes, exactly. It is now registered in Alaska, while it resides physically in Oklahoma. Oklahoma and Alaska DMV say they can't even give me any info, except the date it was transferred, since it's no longer in my name. They won't tell me it's now in her name, but she has admitted it is, and that she "accidentally" transferred it. I've given her 7 months to fix it, but she is not going to.

LdiJ

Yes, exactly. It is now registered in Alaska, while it resides physically in Oklahoma. Oklahoma and Alaska DMV say they can't even give me any info, except the date it was transferred, since it's no longer in my name. They won't tell me it's now in her name, but she has admitted it is, and that she "accidentally" transferred it. I've given her 7 months to fix it, but she is not going to.
Have you spoken to the police?

Why did she steal and have the title transferred into her name if you still have the car?
This would mean she forged a signature on Form 812, paid the various fees for the registration and new license plates, and somehow managed to get insurance on a vehicle she didn't have with her.
It can be done, but why?
https://doa.alaska.gov/dmv/titles/newveh.htm

quincy

Is there a balance owing on the vehicle or is it owned free and clear?

I have a feeling there is a lot more to this story.

She did it out of spite, because initially she paid for most of the vehicle initially, and later I invested in it too, then she had an affair 3 years ago, and I asked her to sign her name off of the joint title, then she moved to Alaska from Oklahoma, and she did without too much argument, because she knew she was wrong. I re-registered it under my name only, 100% legally, and I've had it in my ownership for about 3 years. I think sometime after the breakup, she found my title in my house when she was getting her belongings, and took it without my knowledge. For some reason, she waited til about a year and a half ago to forge the title and transfer it. I only realized it this past June when the tag was due. I went to the tag agency to renew the tag, and couldn't, because it's now registered in Alaska. She just did it purely out of spite, because she's bitter about it. But I didn't force her to sign it over to me. She agreed and did it. She shouldn't get to change her mind 3 years later, and illegally tie it up so I can't use it. I'm positive she did exactly as you said. And yes, it was a free and clear title, no liens. Only my name on it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">