• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hit & Run

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

engtrak

What is the name of your state? California

Incident happened on Nov-20-2019.
I did hit & run, next day cop came to my home and took my details.
I was not arrested, not finger printed.
I do not have any previous arrest records. This is the first mistake in my life.
There are some soft tissues that are claimed to my insurance by victim. My car is paid and victim's car is paid by my insurance for damages.
I went collected collision report from CHP office.
Collision report shows recommendations to LA City Attorney's office that I need to be charged with Hit & Run Felony.
Today My attorney called CHP officer who informed me that case is sent to LA City Attorney's office.
Till today no communication from court yet. I have called LA City Attorney's office today and lady checked in computer and told me that case is not filed yet .
I am not sure if the case is still with CHP office or case is in LA City Attorney's office.
Does any body know how do I get to know where exactly the case is.?
How long does it usually take to get the case filed in court.?

Last edited:

Just Blue

What is the name of your state? California

Incident happened on Nov-20-2019.
I did hit & run, next day cop came to my home and took my details.
There are some soft tissues that are claimed to my insurance by victim. My car is paid and victim's car is paid by my insurance for damages.
I went collected collision report from CHP office.
Collision report shows recommendations to LA City Attorney's office that I need to be charged with Hit & Run Felony.
Today My attorney called CHP officer who informed me that case is sent to LA City Attorney's office.
Till today no communication from court yet. I have called LA City Attorney's office today and lady checked in computer and told me that case is not filed yet .
I am not sure if the case is still with CHP office or case is in LA City Attorney's office.
Does any body know how do I get to know where exactly the case is.?
How long does it usually take to get the case filed in court.?
You have an attorney...ask him/her.

CdwJava

Are you sure the matter was sent to the Los Angeles CITY Attorney? Unless things have changed, the CITY ATTORNEY's office does not prosecute felonies, only misdemeanors, and the CHP would not likely have initially sent a felony case to the city for review. Did you mean it went to the Los Angeles County DISTRICT Attorney?

If you want to know where the case stands, your attorney can contact the office that has the case. These matters are not often filed in criminal court unless there is some grievous harm or recklessness and the defendants was covered by insurance. If the case IS filed in court, depending on whether it is filed as a felony or a misdemeanor, the case could take many months to get filed and potentially years to get resolved. Unlike the impression left by TV crime procedural dramas, criminal cases can take a long time to wind their way through the system.

engtrak

Are you sure the matter was sent to the Los Angeles CITY Attorney? Unless things have changed, the CITY ATTORNEY's office does not prosecute felonies, only misdemeanors, and the CHP would not likely have initially sent a felony case to the city for review. Did you mean it went to the Los Angeles County DISTRICT Attorney?

If you want to know where the case stands, your attorney can contact the office that has the case. These matters are not often filed in criminal court unless there is some grievous harm or recklessness and the defendants was covered by insurance. If the case IS filed in court, depending on whether it is filed as a felony or a misdemeanor, the case could take many months to get filed and potentially years to get resolved. Unlike the impression left by TV crime procedural dramas, criminal cases can take a long time to wind their way through the system.

in the collision report that I have collected from CHP office -
CHP officer doing a recommendations to LA city attorney office that I need to be charged with Hit and Run Felony.
My attorney called CHP office and been informed that case already sent to LA city attorney office.
I have called LA city attorney office and the lady checked in computer and confirms case not filed yet. i have asked the lady clerk to see if the physical file is received by LA city attorney office from CHP office- she says she cannot check that - she says she can only check in the computer if it is filed or not.
I have called District attorney office - they checked in computer and said case is not filed.
DA office said if no body is injured or dead then case likely to go to LA city attorney's office.
to the incident ambulance came and no body injured or dead but victim claiming some chiropractic to my insurance.
My attorney said he cannot call LA city attorney office as it will be like giving more attention in the eyes of LA city attorney office.

quincy

in the collision report that I have collected from CHP office -
CHP officer doing a recommendations to LA city attorney office that I need to be charged with Hit and Run Felony.
My attorney called CHP office and been informed that case already sent to LA city attorney office.
I have called LA city attorney office and the lady checked in computer and confirms case not filed yet. i have asked the lady clerk to see if the physical file is received by LA city attorney office from CHP office- she says she cannot check that - she says she can only check in the computer if it is filed or not.
I have called District attorney office - they checked in computer and said case is not filed.
DA office said if no body is injured or dead then case likely to go to LA city attorney's office.
to the incident ambulance came and no body injured or dead but victim claiming some chiropractic to my insurance.
My attorney said he cannot call LA city attorney office as it will be like giving more attention in the eyes of LA city attorney office.

Everyday i am anxious on the where the case is exactly
It is normal for you to be anxious and concerned but there is little for you to do at this point. Let your attorney handle the matter.

quincy

Then you are now in a holding pattern and must wait until others act. Because you have an attorney and there is nothing you can do to speed up a resolution, you might as well stop worrying. Save your worry for the time charges are filed, if they ever are.

engtrak

It is normal for you to be anxious and concerned but there is little for you to do at this point. Let your attorney handle the matter.
my attorney does not want to be bothered by me ...
and he does not want to poke any body in LA city attorney office about my case.
My attorney just waiting for the case to be filed.

Since I already have a civil compromise letter from the victim and victim car is taken care by my insurance and victim's chiropractic's are being acknowledged by my insurance- i am requesting my attorney to go add this civil compromise letter in LA city attorney office but he does not want to do that

quincy

If you do not trust that your attorney is representing your best interests, fire him and hire another attorney.

I do not see from what you have posted that your attorney is failing to represent you properly, however.

PayrollHRGuy

Since I already have a civil compromise letter from the victim and victim car is taken care by my insurance and victim's chiropractic's are being acknowledged by my insurance- i am requesting my attorney to go add this civil compromise letter in LA city attorney office but he does not want to do that
And rightly so. It isn't your or your lawyer's job to provide evidence against you to the state.

Don't poke the bear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">