• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lawyer seems not on my side

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
State: Illinois

a majority of my case tkes place in Illinois. My attorney is from Illinois and he seems to not be on my side. he doesn’t seem like he wants to help me at all and I’m not sure if he wants to help me at all. I know that I am not the one who is more at fault, but I should have taken care of something along time ago. My attorneySeems to think I’m an idiot and I probably am an idiot. But isn’t my attorney supposed to be on my side?

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Of course your attorney is supposed to be on your side and advocate for you. But attorneys also have to follow certain rules when litigating cases in court, so they have some obligations to the court as well. I obviously don't know if the attorney is doing everything he can for you as I know nothing about your case and what he's done. You are free to consult another attorney in your state for an opinion on that.

Of course your attorney is supposed to be on your side and advocate for you. But attorneys also have to follow certain rules when litigating cases in court, so they have some obligations to the court as well. I obviously don't know if the attorney is doing everything he can for you as I know nothing about your case and what he's done. You are free to consult another attorney in your state for an opinion on that.
Thank you for your response

quincy

a majority of my case tkes place in Illinois. My attorney is from Illinois and he seems to not be on my side. he doesn’t seem like he wants to help me at all and I’m not sure if he wants to help me at all. I know that I am not the one who is more at fault, but I should have taken care of something along time ago. My attorneySeems to think I’m an idiot and I probably am an idiot. But isn’t my attorney supposed to be on my side?
Do you have a case other than the one in Michigan that you are involved in, Yellowfever?

Here is a link to your other thread posted Tuesday:
https://forum.freeadvice.com/threads/civil-court.658349/

LdiJ

One reason why an attorney might seem like he is not on your side, is if you are being unrealistic in your expectations and he is trying to convince you of what the reality of your situation really is. He cannot advocate something for you that isn't realistic.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
illinois:

can I get a jury trial for child support. My attorney already said no because it’s domestic relations but what if jail time is hanging over my head? My entire life is in the hands of one judge and that seems wrong

I have to say, it is small wonder that Yellowfever feels like his lawyer is "not on his side": Yellowfever wants things that are not legal options, and does not believe his lawyer when the lawyer tries to inform Yellowfever that he is being unreasonable.

@Yellowfever : you have to inform yourself of legal basics, before you start accusing your lawyer of being unethical.

quincy

A decision made by a judge in a domestic relations case in Illinois can always be appealed by a party in the case but there are no juries in Illinois domestic relations cases. These cases are heard by a single judge.

For Yellowfever’s child support case, therefore, Yellowfever’s attorney was correct in telling him there could be no jury trial.

Most attorneys will not abuse the trust of their clients or risk their licenses to practice by violating their professional codes, rules and oaths.

Yellowfever can fire a current attorney and hire another one, if Yellowfever feels the current attorney is failing to represent him well, but I suggest he speak to this attorney first to discuss his concerns before thoughts of switching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">