• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Looking forward file a case in small claims court!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Belina

Hello everyone,
Recently I had a plumbing problem in my apartment. We informed the issue to our landlord but they refused to pay and not even responding to it. I tried to communicate many times but still, they are not responding to it. When we rent a property in case of any maintenance normally it would be the responsibility of the landlord. But I'm not aware of the legal rights of tenants while living in a rented apartment. My friend recommended me to file a claim in court and advised me to assist a small claims court in Ontario to know the legal rights and conditionAny tenant here has experienced a similar situation?

quincy

FreeAdvice handles US law questions only. If you are in Ontario, Canada, you will need to find help in Canada.

Commercial links are prohibited on this site so your post was reported for moderator review.

Good luck.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Belina, here is Canada's Residential Tenancy Act. Study it to learn your rights as a tenant.

http://www.bclaws.ca/civix/document/id/complete/statreg/02078_01
That's not a national law of Canada. Much like the U.S. where landlord tenant law is a matter of state law, most landlord tenant law in Canada is a matter of provincial law. What you linked is the British Columbia landlord-tenant law. For Ontario, a tenant would need to look at the Ontario Residential Tenancies Act (note the slight difference in title from the BC law). That law is long, however, and as a starting place the Ontario government has a guide to the Residential Tenancies Act available.

quincy

Again, this is an advertiser/spammer. She had another thread reported for the commercial link earlier. ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">