• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I was fired but a company is still using my name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rubin34

I reside in Greeley Colorado. I worked for a company for about 8 months and I'll cut the sob story, they fired me. I got a call tonight from someone who said he'd been talking to me through email (I know they do this as a practice, as I was doing this for someone else while I was there). Is this legal? Can I threaten (ask) them to stop? It's not so much them using my name or even me getting calls, it's more I'm bitter because they literally used me, strung me along, and then fired me because it's an at will state and they simply shift blame.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
You may always ask them to stop. If you want to get them to stop, I suggest your initial request about this be courteous and non-threatening. If you threaten the company, it is likely to get defensive and less willing change what is going on. If the company won't stop after that, you can see a Colorado attorney about the possibility of seeking an injunction to force the company to stop. Problem is that suing for that can get expensive and you won't get back your legal fees or most costs even if you win.

The bitterness is an unproductive emotion. The company sucked, you got fired, and it's time to just move on to something else that is hopefully better. Better to get out of a bad place after 8 months than have been there years and then get the rug pulled out from under you.

adjusterjack

I got a call tonight from someone who said he'd been talking to me through email (I know they do this as a practice, as I was doing this for someone else while I was there).
You have to explain better because that sentence is pretty much incomprehensible.

quincy

I reside in Greeley Colorado. I worked for a company for about 8 months and I'll cut the sob story, they fired me. I got a call tonight from someone who said he'd been talking to me through email (I know they do this as a practice, as I was doing this for someone else while I was there). Is this legal? Can I threaten (ask) them to stop? It's not so much them using my name or even me getting calls, it's more I'm bitter because they literally used me, strung me along, and then fired me because it's an at will state and they simply shift blame.
I am a bit confused by what you wrote, too.

Are emails being sent from your old company email account? How is your name being used and for what purpose? To communicate with clients/customers?

rubin34

Yeah, sent from my old company email that has my face and name attached to it for work purposes. Maybe I should feel happy about having my name and face out there more? It still annoys me and yeah I was going to ask nicely to begin with but wanted to know if I could threaten them instead so I appreciate any info.

quincy

Yeah, sent from my old company email that has my face and name attached to it for work purposes. Maybe I should feel happy about having my name and face out there more? It still annoys me and yeah I was going to ask nicely to begin with but wanted to know if I could threaten them instead so I appreciate any info.
Your former company should not be using your name or image without your express permission to do so.

In Colorado, it could be an invasion of privacy (appropriation of a name or likeness).

rubin34

I could ask more questions but I'll just end it here for now, I'll ask them to stop using my name/image and see how it goes. This forum is ridiculously fast for replies, thank you everyone for your input.

quincy

I could ask more questions but I'll just end it here for now, I'll ask them to stop using my name/image and see how it goes. This forum is ridiculously fast for replies, thank you everyone for your input.
Asking the company to stop using your name and image in emails is certainly the best and easiest first step to take.

We all appreciate the thanks so thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">