• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Scam Contractor. Vanished with money.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jancanyon

What is the name of your state? Wy

I hired a contractor to finish my bathroom at a rental. He told me he could do everything -- wiring, plumbing, etc. He started the job, but the state inspector looked at the wiring and the contractor had no clue what he was doing. It had to be taken out and an electrical company came in to do the wiring. Then, the state inspector let us know that our contractor wasn't even licensed and couldn't continue until he became licensed. We decided to give the contractor a second chance (since we'd given him over $7,000) to finish the bathroom. He said he would get his license and finish the bathroom. Now, we haven't heard from him in a month and he won't return our calls. Basically, he did nothing.

I know I can take him to small claims court. Can I garnish his wages, if he doesn't pay after he loses in small claims? Can I have him arrested for theft of services? I emailed him and told him if he didn't respond by tomorrow, I would call the police for theft.

Basically, he took $7000+ and never returned...

quincy

You can sue him for the return of the $7000. If you get a judgment against him, you can use all available legal methods to collect on the judgment.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I know I can take him to small claims court. Can I garnish his wages, if he doesn't pay after he loses in small claims?
What wages?

Can I have him arrested for theft of services? I emailed him and told him if he didn't respond by tomorrow, I would call the police for theft.
He didn't steal any services. He was the service provider.

Basically, he took $7000+ and never returned...
Then sue him for breach of contract...

Polysemant

Trust is a must when it comes to a person or the products we purchase. We must always make it a point that we know the products well enough. Just like in choosing the best hose reel for your garden. Read some reviews and feedbacks first before making a decision.

Last edited:

Jancanyon

I thought the judge would give a verdict right there in the courthouse, but she said "I'll send you my verdict in the mail in three weeks". :/ We sued for $6,000 (our small court max). I'm hoping we'll win most of that -- perhaps not all because the contractor DID do a couple days worth of work (even if it all failed inspection). Although, then comes the hard part of getting him to pay. Im guessing I'll have to garnish his bank account. Definitely a learning experience...

quincy

I thought the judge would give a verdict right there in the courthouse, but she said "I'll send you my verdict in the mail in three weeks". :/ We sued for $6,000 (our small court max). I'm hoping we'll win most of that -- perhaps not all because the contractor DID do a couple days worth of work (even if it all failed inspection). Although, then comes the hard part of getting him to pay. Im guessing I'll have to garnish his bank account. Definitely a learning experience...
I hope the mail brings you good news telling you that you were successful with your lawsuit.

You are right that collecting on a judgment often can be the most difficult part.

Thank you for the update.

Jancanyon

Thank you! We sued his wife, too. She was the accountant for his construction business. She has a 9-5 job, so at least she might be easier to garnish wages. :/ If nothing else, I'll chalk it up to learning an important lesson in life.

quincy

Thank you! We sued his wife, too. She was the accountant for his construction business. She has a 9-5 job, so at least she might be easier to garnish wages. :/ If nothing else, I'll chalk it up to learning an important lesson in life.
An expensive life lesson ... but the way you are looking at it is healthy. :)

Good luck.

adjusterjack

Did they even show up in court?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">