• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

On attending meetings in my government organization

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rebecca76

What is the name of your state? Florida

I work for Florida state. The employees’ hand book has following statements “Each unit requires employees of that unit to attend certain internal and external meetings as part of the employees’ professional obligation. All employees are expected to assume this obligation.”

Does it mean I must attend each and every meeting within and outside my unit, if I do not want to? How to determine if a meeting is “certain” in the above phrase “…to attend certain internal and external meetings…” ? Can a disciplinary action be taken on me if I skip one or more meetings (while otherwise doing my job perfectly)?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Florida

I work for Florida state. The employees’ hand book has following statements “Each unit requires employees of that unit to attend certain internal and external meetings as part of the employees’ professional obligation. All employees are expected to assume this obligation.”

Does it mean I must attend each and every meeting within and outside my unit, if I do not want to? How to determine if a meeting is “certain” in the above phrase “…to attend certain internal and external meetings…” ? Can a disciplinary action be taken on me if I skip one or more meetings (while otherwise doing my job perfectly)?
This would be something that you would need to ask your supervisor. However, I wouldn't use the term "if I don't want to" as that comes off a little, well, "off". Just ask your supervisor what meetings you are required to attend.

rebecca76

Thanks. My supervisor is bossy and conducting meetings as he likes. We have assignment of job responsibility (AJR) each year, which I and my boss must sign (then the director will sign), which describes the work I must do for that year, no more no less. However, my AJR did not say anything about these meetings or attending these meetings.

commentator

I spent many years working in state civil service, and I will be very quick to tell you that pleasing your supervisors (or at least not contending with them) is much more important to your success in this job than doing your perceived "job duties." And that yes, most certainly, it doesn't matter if you are doing 100% of a perfect job at your assigned job duties, if they say come to meetings, you come to meetings.

Yes, even useless, stupid time wasting boring meetings which accomplish nothing. You're being paid the same salary whether you do this or your assigned work. The work is endless. It was there before you came, it will be there after you are long gone. Sit through those meetings and look at your nails, think happy thoughts, draw pictures......but remember, your supervisor is going to be the one who does your performance evaluations, and if you don't cooperate with them, you cannot be good enough at your job to make yourself untouchable in the political hierarchy of your department. You will not win this one.

Any company does not really have to follow their company handbook anyway, they can hire and fire at will in your state, and believe me, the employee's handbook for the state government department you work for is broad and general, and there is no way you'd be able to protect yourself from being terminated by quoting or arguing with them about passages from the state handbook. They've seen it all before.

Your current boss is bossy and likes to call stupid time wasting meetings. You're dedicated and impatient and determined to fight back, refuse, argue that if you were just left alone, you could get the job done much more effectively. If you stay with the state, you'll see many petty supervisors come and go, many of whom have not gotten their job based on anything but politics, certainly not based on competence or qualification for their position. But really, if you're going to stay around, go to the meetings. Don't die on this little hill in this one little part of the system with this one bossy supervisor. Particularly if you are still in your probationary year. Start looking for jobs in private industry where "getting it done" is more appreciated.

As long as I was still being paid I was happy to attend all the meetings, PR events and training courses I was sent to.;)

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There are some meetings I have to attend that are a total waste of time. However, because I attend those meetings, I also get to attend one annual, all-day off-site meeting which is excellent and very much worth while. I get more out of the annual meeting than I get out of any three of the others, but that's the price I pay.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">