• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

been ripped off!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dontlikeripoffs

hello, so I bought a snow blower off craigslist (a little back ground on seller they sell snow blowers tires anything that has to do with outdoor equipment) I go to see the advertised snow blower and There is no snow on ground yet to really check it out properly. so we let it run and it seems o.k but it only ran for a minute or so as there was very little gas in it (this should of been a red flag to me!! so I buy it "as is" thinking its an old timer it should be O.K BIG MISTAKE!! anyways I bring it home and a few weeks later here comes the 1st storm I start to use it and after 3 or 4 minutes of really poor running and only throwing the snow a foot from the chute it starts stalling. I take it to a repair guy and he goes thru it he does get it to start but as I explained to him it took a few minutes to start stalling he decides to let it run for a few minutes. well after 8 to 10 minutes the machine starts to leak a white milk like substance out of every seem and crack on the engine (which I'm told means the engine is blown) so I call the guy who sold it and explain who I am and which machine I bought and the 1st words out of him are "NO MONEY BACK!!!) he says he will look at it but he really cant promise anything and if it costs for parts I have to pay and pay him to fix it. he never offered me an exchange for a good one or to repair it for free. do I have any recourse since it was sold "AS IS"?

quincy

What is the name of your state?

You purchased a used item sold “as is.” That is always a risk.

dontlikeripoffs

my state is New Hampshire and yes I know as is usually means your screwed....but usually if the person is a "good person they want to make it right. I guess I ran into a full fledged thief!!

quincy

my state is New Hampshire and yes I know as is usually means your screwed....but usually if the person is a "good person they want to make it right. I guess I ran into a full fledged thief!!
Thank you for providing your state name.

The snow blower seller is not a thief. He was selling a used snow blower as-is and you purchased the snow blower he was selling, as-is.

With as-is sales, there is (generally) no obligation on the part of the seller to repair or replace the item or provide a refund.

Dosimetry

I agree with quincy, since it is an "as- is sales", the seller has no obligation to repair or replace the item sold.

Last edited:

quincy

Generally there is no obligation to replace or repair items sold as-is. There are a few exceptions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">