• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Solar panels

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Joemcc1262

My wife and I purchased a house with solar panels. I called Solar City to find out how to keep track of the energy usage and they told me I have to assume the contract. We were never told by the our Agent or the sellers that the panels had a remaining 15 years left of a 20 year PPA contract from Solar City. Is there anything we can do or do we have to sign the contract?

Just Blue

My wife and I purchased a house with solar panels. I called Solar City to find out how to keep track of the energy usage and they told me I have to assume the contract. We were never told by the our Agent or the sellers that the panels had a remaining 15 years left of a 20 year PPA contract from Solar City. Is there anything we can do or do we have to sign the contract?
What state?

Ignore what Solar City says, and instead listen to your attorney.
Don't sign anything until he's had chance to review all the information.

PayrollHRGuy

What is the nature of the services provided under the Solar City contract?

Many people buy houses and buildings with monitored security systems. When that happens the new owners must contract with the monitoring company if they want to take advantage of the services the monitoring company provides.

FarmerJ

Joe any where in the purchase agreement or say something recorded to the title was there any mention of a contract with that company OR any kid of recorded easement that grants them access to the property or the equipment ? I suggest if your not sure or cant determine if there was then you really want to have your attorney review your homes purchase agreements and title, if the attorney tells you that you have no agreement with that company then I would say your free to hire a electrician who has experience with solar systems and if you needed to to install a meter that can at least tell you how much power it generates and you want to talk to your electric company to learn what their rules are for buying surplus power from customers like you.

LdiJ

Are you talking about a contract to BUY the solar panels or a contract to maintain/service the solar panels? If it was the former, then the sellers (in my opinion) should have been required to pay off that installment purchase from the proceeds of the house, and if they did not, they should be sued.

If its the latter, then they certainly should have disclosed it and you may have some action there. If it is something else, then you need to explain more fully. I agree that you are not required to assume any contract with Solar City, but if the panels are not paid for, that becomes problematic.

adjusterjack

Is there anything we can do or do we have to sign the contract?
First of all, you need to get a copy of the signed contract from Solar City.

It's probably a lease agreement. I came across one of those when I was looking for a house last year. I did find out in advance that it was a 20 year lease, after which I could renew or have them remove the equipment and (supposedly) restore the roof (yeah, right). I didn't buy the house.

You might have the option to have them remove the equipment.

I do agree with the other responses. Get a copy of the contract and get a lawyer.

Joemcc1262

Joe any where in the purchase agreement or say something recorded to the title was there any mention of a contract with that company OR any kid of recorded easement that grants them access to the property or the equipment ? I suggest if your not sure or cant determine if there was then you really want to have your attorney review your homes purchase agreements and title, if the attorney tells you that you have no agreement with that company then I would say your free to hire a electrician who has experience with solar systems and if you needed to to install a meter that can at least tell you how much power it generates and you want to talk to your electric company to learn what their rules are for buying surplus power from customers like you.
Okay. Thank you. I’ll have my attorney review all the documentation. I could not find anything about the solar panels.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">