• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Uber refusing Toll Reimbursement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SuburDad

I have been an Uber driver in Massachusetts for over 3 years. There was a recent post in a local Uber Driver forum where a fellow driver pointed out that Uber had not been reimbursing them for Toll charges.

I reviewed my past trip details for the previous 2 weeks and found that about 70% of the time, Uber was not paying me for the cost incurred by traveling through tolls. These fees are charged to the passenger and Uber is supposed to reimburse the driver accordingly which they have not been doing.

After reaching out to Uber, I was informed that they can only add 3 toll reimbursements per day and that they would not reimburse any missed toll payments to me that are more than 10 days ago.

If they are knowingly pocketing the toll fee that they are supposed to be paying drivers for these tolls and will not reimburse as agreed to, what, if any, recourse do i have?

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
If they are knowingly pocketing the toll fee that they are supposed to be paying drivers for these tolls and will not reimburse as agreed to, what, if any, recourse do i have?
If your contract with Uber says that Uber pays you for the tolls then your recourse is to sue Uber for the breach of contract. Otherwise, you have the customer pay the toll and don't add that to his/her trip charge with Uber.

quincy

If your contract with Uber says that Uber pays you for the tolls then your recourse is to sue Uber for the breach of contract. Otherwise, you have the customer pay the toll and don't add that to his/her trip charge with Uber.
According to Uber’s Terms of Service, passengers should not pay a driver in cash (except for a tip) or by credit card. If they offer, the driver should decline the offer. A passenger should never be asked to pay directly for tolls. These are added to their bill automatically.

Information specific to Massachusetts:
https://www.ezdrivema.com/rideshare

Last edited:

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
According to Uber’s Terms of Service, passengers should not pay a driver in cash (except for a tip) or by credit card. If they offer, the driver should decline the offer. A passenger should never be asked to pay directly for tolls. These are added to their bill automatically.
If the driver is precluded by contract from asking the customer to pay (and I've not the driver contract) then the OP has to look at the contract to see if Uber is obligated to repay the tolls. If that's the case, the OP may sue for breach of contract. Otherwise, it would appear the OP really has no remedy for this.

quincy

Some of the tolls are reimbursed by Uber to the driver and some of the tolls are not. The tolls that are reimbursed are automatically added to the passenger’s bill.

SuberDad should look over the Uber terms to determine if he is actually being shortchanged. It is possible that he is being paid exactly what Uber agreed to pay.

I believe all Uber drivers agree to resolve all disputes with Uber on an individual basis and through final and binding arbitration.

Last edited:

FarmerJ

In the contracts are there any penalties for refusing to use toll roads and only using non toll roads to take a customer from A to Z ?

quincy

In the contracts are there any penalties for refusing to use toll roads and only using non toll roads to take a customer from A to Z ?
Uber provides the shortest routes to their drivers. I suppose penalties would come from the passengers who refuse to pay for a longer drive.

I think FlyingRon said he was an Uber driver briefly. Maybe he will stop by with more information.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
In some places, particularly in the northeastern part of the U.S., it can be difficult or impossible to avoid toll roads and bridges.

Uber provides the shortest routes to their drivers.
Uber and Lyft apps provide what they think is the most efficient route for the driver to take, but those apps don't always provide the best route. I've seen that from experience riding those services.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">