• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I deduct losses related to mistakes?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

slac.in.the.box

In 2019, without my reading glasses, I accidentally allocated 64cpus and 240gb ram to the wrong instance, because it had a similar name that started with the same letter as the correct instance. When I logged into the correct instance and the resources were unavailable, I reallocated the resources, this time choosing the correct name. I did my work, and released the resources, never realizing that I left the wrong instance running with all the resources, until the $1800 bill arrived. I had to pay it or lose service (and then customers would lose service too). This company is a sole-proprietor that provides voip services under an assumed business name. My average monthly cost is $200 from that provider, so my mistake cost me $1600 extra. Is that some kind of business loss that there could be a deduction on?

LdiJ

In 2019, without my reading glasses, I accidentally allocated 64cpus and 240gb ram to the wrong instance, because it had a similar name that started with the same letter as the correct instance. When I logged into the correct instance and the resources were unavailable, I reallocated the resources, this time choosing the correct name. I did my work, and released the resources, never realizing that I left the wrong instance running with all the resources, until the $1800 bill arrived. I had to pay it or lose service (and then customers would lose service too). This company is a sole-proprietor that provides voip services under an assumed business name. My average monthly cost is $200 from that provider, so my mistake cost me $1600 extra. Is that some kind of business loss that there could be a deduction on?
It was an expense, a legitimate expense. It was due to an error on your part but it was still a legitimate expense

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">