• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Evidence Date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omowright

What is the name of your state?Non US

I was called a pedophile and the video evidence has no date on it. Furthermore, the format is old, the images transmitted to a receiver by WiFi and it has been saved in another format to be easily played in other devices. Can it be admitted in court?

Just Blue

What is the name of your state?Non US

I was called a pedophile and the video evidence has no date on it. Furthermore, the format is old, the images transmitted to a receiver by WiFi and it has been saved in another format to be easily played in other devices. Can it be admitted in court?
This site is only for US law.

Omowright

Thank you Just Blue. I have just gone through the TOS.

Our courts (Sierra Leone) are becoming more "international" and references are being made to precedents in US Law.

If the evidence is admissible in US courts but not in English courts, it will more likely be admissible in our courts.

Will the "courts" accept this evidence?

adjusterjack

First of all, being "called" a pedophile is a far cry from being charged with a crime. Have you been charged with a crime? If you have, you should be talking to a criminal defense attorney. If you haven't you need to keep your mouth shut about it to anybody but an attorney, especially don't talk to the authorities. And stay off the internet where your confession can be seen by everybody.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

Our courts (Sierra Leone) are becoming more "international" and references are being made to precedents in US Law.

If the evidence is admissible in US courts but not in English courts, it will more likely be admissible in our courts.

Again - this site is for US law matters only. You will need to seek out local (to you) legal assistance.

Mass_Shyster

For a general guide, you can look at the Federal Rules of Evidence. In General, for evidence to be admitted, it must be relevant and inherently reliable. To admit video evidence, a witness is required to authenticate the video, that is to say the witness must testify that the video it a true and accurate representation of the events that took place at that place, at that time and date. It’s usually pretty easy for a percipient witness to authenticate a video. Surveillance video is a different issue, when there was no percipient witness to the event. In that case, someone who is familiar with the surveillance system must testify that she is familiar with the particular surveillance system, that she is familiar with the placement of the cameras, and has knowledge that the video was recorded on a particular date and time.

I had a case where the police had a surveillance video that appeared to show my client committing a crime. The police had retrieved the video from the store. On the day of trial I objected to the introduction of the video because they did not summons a witness to from the store to authenticate the video. My objection was sustained, and my client was found not guilty.

Omowright

Thank you so much Mass_Shyster. The evidence has to be authenticated. I believe this is what I was looking for ...

Omowright

adjusterjack, I want to make a case against someone who called me a pedophile and I have a clip of him saying that in public. I think I'm safe so far.

quincy

Sierra Leone is not in the US and FreeAdvice handles US law questions only.

Laws vary significantly from one state to another in the US and vary even more significantly from other countries’ laws.

You will need to find legal assistance in Sierra Leone. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">