• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I call IRS if employer continues to not send W-2?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bjoh249

What is the name of your state? Arkansas
I have been waiting for my W-2 for over a month now. My company swears up and down that they sent them out on time January 31. A couple of weeks ago they told us all to email payroll with our information so they can reissue them to us. They were supposed to have sent them out on Monday of last week, and said it would take 5-7 business days for them to arrive. It’s been 7 business days today and it still has not come in. I called them personally today and they are supposed to be resending me one. According to my store only one employee (a manager) has received their’s. I am giving them one more chance to get me my W-2. My question is if I can call the IRS if they continue to fail to follow through? This is unacceptable and unlawful and I don’t know why I should pay a tax preparer when it was the company’s responsibility by law to send them out on time. I am getting really angry about this. Need advice. Thanks

Just Blue

What is the name of your state? Arkansas
I have been waiting for my W-2 for over a month now. My company swears up and down that they sent them out on time January 31. A couple of weeks ago they told us all to email payroll with our information so they can reissue them to us. They were supposed to have sent them out on Monday of last week, and said it would take 5-7 business days for them to arrive. It’s been 7 business days today and it still has not come in. I called them personally today and they are supposed to be resending me one. According to my store only one employee (a manager) has received their’s. I am giving them one more chance to get me my W-2. My question is if I can call the IRS if they continue to fail to follow through? This is unacceptable and unlawful and I don’t know why I should pay a tax preparer when it was the company’s responsibility by law to send them out on time. I am getting really angry about this. Need advice. Thanks
https://revenue.alabama.gov/individual-corporate/faq/withholding-tax/

Your options are in the link.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Just speaking as devil's advocate - Payroll does our W-2's but if I had a nickel for every 1095-C we mailed out that came back to us for wrong address or which didn't come back but the employee claimed they didn't receive...

PayrollHRGuy

Just speaking as devil's advocate - Payroll does our W-2's but if I had a nickel for every 1095-C we mailed out that came back to us for wrong address or which didn't come back but the employee claimed they didn't receive...
As of yesterday of the 2000+ W2s we sent out 185 have been returned as undeliverable. Then there is some other number of W2s that go to the wrong address and whoever lives there just throw them away.

Just Blue

That link is for the Alabama Department of Revenue (DOR). While the OP may contact the DOR for help, my experience has been that starting with the IRS works better than contacting the state revenue departments, though it's possible the OP may end up having to contact both in the end to file both the federal and state returns.
lo...I got the wrong state as well. Oy!

I'm sorry to the OP for posting the wrong information.

commentator

Quote: I don’t know why I should pay a tax preparer when it was the company’s responsibility by law to send them out on time.

What is he saying, that he would have to pay a tax preparer to get his W-2 for him? I am not understanding that part at all.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Is there a portal that you can log on to and download a copy?
The employer may have one, but if it did I suspect the OP would not be here asking about calling the IRS. The IRS doesn't have one that would have the 2019 W-2 on it yet, and I doubt the state offers that either.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The employer may have one, but if it did I suspect the OP would not be here asking about calling the IRS.
I agree, but there's an outside possibility that the OP didn't consider that option.

The IRS doesn't have one that would have the 2019 W-2 on it yet, and I doubt the state offers that either.
Right - I was referring to one offered by the payroll service, whether in-house with the employer or outsourced.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">