• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Gun found during search. My house not my gun and obvious that it had not been touched in long time. I am a convicted felon last conviction in 2003

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
More facts would be helpful. You can reply to your first post to add the details or edit your post. Just from your subject line there's not a lot I can tell you except this: the fact that it was "obvious" the gun had not been touched in a long time isn't all that helpful to you. Federal law and likely Nebraska law too prohibits felons from possessing a firearm. If you know the gun is there and have access to it that's generally good enough to be considered to be in possession of it. So a gun in your home, even if you hadn't touched it for a long time is still in your possession if you knew it was there because have access to the gun and can exercise control over it. The whole idea here is that felons aren't supposed to have access to firearms. If you are charged with possession of that firearm then, as quincy says, you really need a criminal defense attorney.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If the police found a Browning Model 1922 that was rusted so badly that the slide wouldn't move stuffed in the bottom of an old chest marked "Sgt. Bill Smith, 1944", then you probably would be ok. If the police found a Glock 22 on the top shelf of the towel closet with not even a light coating of dust, then you're probably not going to be ok. Either way, the police could "take you in" for it.

zddoodah

You're going to need to provide relevant facts and ask a question if you want helpful feedback beyond that you need an attorney.

quincy

You're going to need to provide relevant facts and ask a question if you want helpful feedback beyond that you need an attorney.
If he is a felon found in possession of a firearm, the MOST helpful advice is to seek out a criminal defense attorney.

Last edited:

quincy

No!
No additional facts. Talk to an attorney and shut up to everyone else.
I agree with TigerD.

Someone facing criminal charges should not be providing facts about the crime on a public forum. Any attorney he sees in Nebraska will advise him the same.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">